Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion flower mutation?

Posted by abayomi (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 8:29

Has anyone seen a passion flower with 4 pistils? All of mine have 3 and I found one on the same vine that has 4. Equally, all the others have 5 stamens and this one also has 4 instead.

It is the edulis-flavicarpa variety.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion flower mutation?

I don't think that a mutated bloom is that uncommon though I haven't noticed any like the one you have described. Wait and see if you get anymore that have the same mutation. I have an edulis that has one branch putting out pure white blooms and I have lots of other types of plants that put out an occasional odd bloom.
Karyn

o

Thanks Karyn. Are you growing an edible variety? If so, have you noticed any difference in the fruit?

o

Interesting, I went out today and found an all white flower. Imagine that. I also found a flower on my vine from Nicaragua with it's first flower and it has only 2 pistils: you can visibly see two are fused into one.

o

Hi Abayomi
These are curious plants and a number of them are very prone to producing the odd mutated flower. The link shows some corona filaments in totally the wrong place. I have some pics of a very odd caerulea that I will add to my site sometime.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora loefgrenii

o

Myles that Passiflora loefgrenii is a beautiful color. Is it a fussy plant?
Karyn

o

Hi Karyn
I grew mine from seed from Mauro Peixoto in Brasil. It is not fussy but is not very hardy (best above freezing) and needs very dry roots over winter. Loefgrenii 'Corupa' and 'Iporanga' are quite different. My hybrid P. 'Betty Myles Young' is a hybrid between P. 'Clear Sky' and P. loefgrenii 'Iporanga' and though I say it myself it is stunning, hardy vigorous and free flowering.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Mauro peixoto

o

Hi All
Check out the abnormal flower link below.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora flower abnormalities

o

Hi Myles,
Thanks for the link. I've looked at his site before but have never bought seeds from him. Can you post a pic of your P. 'Betty Myles Young'? Is it available through Grassy Knoll? I'm getting ready to cut my passies back and get them in the greenhouse. Of course I keep putting it off, as usual. lol
Karyn

o

Mauro is a good guy and I recommend him.
See pictures of all my hybrids at
http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passiflora-hybrids.htm
Grassy Knoll does sell BMY and most of my other hybrids. Prices discounted at this time of the year.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Grassy Knoll P. 'Betty Myles Young'

o

That is a beauty. Unfortunately they are out of stock right now. That's probably a good thing because I'm so tight for space in the greenhouses anyway. Hopefully they'll have more in the spring.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here