Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eloise_ca

p. Incense fruit

eloise_ca
18 years ago

I was in the process of seriously trimming down my p. Incense when I noticed lots of fruit. My impression was that Incense didn't fruit or hardly at all. How does one use the fruit? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

Incense will set fruit, usually with hand-pollination with pollen from a compatible vine. You must have something nearby that it really likes! My own Incense refused to set fruit with pollen from my incarnatas, but did set one tiny fruit on a flower that I did not hand pollinate. I am still waiting for it to ripen, but it may frost before that happens.

Incense fruit is reported to be quite edible. Let the fruit drop on its own, then you can eat the pulp and plant or trade the seeds.

~kiwinut

• passiflora2004
    18 years ago

Some make jelly some eat the fruit fresh from the vine some just harvest for the seeds
    :)
    Robbie

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

You should wait for that fruit to drop, then put it in a box & send it to me.

My incense has been blooming all summer- But no fruit at all. I've polinated it with everything else.. Nothing. Nor does it's pollen seem to work on anything. I wonder if I just have a sterile vine?

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all for the info. Kiwinut, re. "must have something nearby that it really likes". The differences this year have been lots of large black bumble bees visiting p. Incense, and an unknown passiflora in my backyard also producing lots of fruit. I've tried to look for a flower to I.D., but have not found any so far! Krstofer, you are funny re. "then put it in a box & send it to me"! Anyway, you are welcomed to some of the fruit &/or runner(s).

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

Do you have photos of the mystery passiflora? Even without flowers, the leaves and fruit could help ID it. I would also be interested in a few seeds. Thanks.

~kiwinut

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kiwinut, Don't have pictures of the mystery passiflora, but it has five petals as leaves, dark green (darker than p. Incense) and the fruit is smaller than an egg and orange in color. Seeds of p. Incense or the mystery passiflora??

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

Sounds like its P. caerulea with the orange fruit, although some P. edulis (flavacarpa) have orange fruit. However, there may be another passiflora nearby, since caerulea and edulis flavacarpa are usually self-incompatible, and Incense is pollen-sterile. Some hybrids of edulis could be self-fertile and have orange-ish fruit, so that is also a possibility. One clue would be to taste the fruit of the mystery vine when ripe. If it tastes good, its probably edulis, if its insipid, its probably caerulea. Its the Incense seeds I am interested in. Thanks.

~kiwinut

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

Upon further investigation, it appears that P. caerulea usually has 5 lobed leaves, whereas P. edulis usually has 3. Right now I would guess the mystery passiflora is P. caerulea.

Did the fruit on the mystery vine look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: P. Caerulea fruit and flower

• singhin
    18 years ago

Regarding P. Incense being pollen sterile. I have used it's pollen on a Caerulea and it set 4 fruit. Currently 1 of those is almost ripe, so I'll see if it has any seeds in it. I also used pollen from Caerulea on my Lady Margaret and 1 of my 3 Incense. Both produced fruit which unfortunately due to heavy winds (I think) and my ducks have disappeared :( So I guess I'll have to wait and see who comes back after winter and try try again.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The mystery passiflora continues to be a mystery! The leaves are different than p. Caerulea's altho the fruit is similar. The leaves are dark green with a velvety feeling at touch, and the edges of the leaves are smooth, not zig-zaggy like p. Incense's. Went out to inspect the mystery passiflora and still cannot see flowers. Something is eating the fruit: birds, squirrels, tree rats (agh) or all. Kiwinut, sending you an email.

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

singhin,

Thats interesting. I have read that Incense is pollen sterile, but have never tried it myself. Like most things, it is probably not absolute and may depend on climate, etc. as well. I'll keep that in mind for future crosses. Good luck with the fruit.

~kiwinut

• mamaspud
    18 years ago

Check out this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of Passion Flowers

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio