Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passiflorapond

Create New Bottom Growth On Passies

passiflorapond
13 years ago

Someone a few pages back had asked about created new bottom growth on passions, but I can't find his/her post. They had asked about how to make new bottom growth on passion vines. Here's what I did.

Mine is outside, I think theirs was potted. But I cleared away fallen foliage (or mulch), scratched topsoil lightly with hand rake, added new compost, and made mixture of q/2 strength fertilizer and abundance of superthrive; both mixed in water. I have kept the soil moist, but not wet, for over two weeks with a morning sprinkle every day. I redo the superthrive/fert mix once a week. The soil is composed of sand, compost, added clay and small amount of peat. There is most likely an underground true watersource about 4 foot down.

This vine is edulis, about a year old. notice new growth.

I know many here are against ferts, but I use about once a month and do water them regularly. It does not seem to work as well on the incarnatas, they seem overly sensitive to this care, so am trying to avoid them.

However, my edulis, actinia, foetida, vitifolia and caerulea seem to respond well to this treatment.

Looked up for years care on passies. It seems Americans seem to water and fertilize less, while Australian websites/forums I find that grow edulis commercially, actually care for theirs with great concern...ie:water, ferts...mine respond better to this.

Perhaps it is soil, specie, climate, mixture of all. but here in sandy, limey south fla, my treatment got new bottom growth :)

Hope I helped in some way

{{gwi:1134439}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored