Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Are any passies self pollinating

karyn1
16 years ago

I have a few passies that seem to have developed fruit on every spent blossom. These are the plants that grew from the seeds of my P amethystina cross. I've never had plants set this much fruit and was wondering if these are self pollinating.

Karyn

Comments (11)

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

In reading through my new passi books, I remember reading about at least one that is supposedly self-pollinating, but I can't remember which one. I'm always bringing the books to bed, so if I read which one it is again, I'll let you know.
    Sherry

• passionflow
    16 years ago

Hi Karyn
    There are quite a few species that will self pollinate (see link) but no hybrids as far as I know. It would be worth cutting open some of the fruit that are a few weeks old to see if there are any seed in them - some hybrids set hollow fruit. Some of my hybrids set fruit freely - usually with caerulea pollen from the bees - which may be particularly attracted to your hybrid's beautiful flowers and tasty nectar (do they have any perfume too?) hence high rates of fruit set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollination

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just cut open an unripe fruit and it's full of bright orange arils containing seeds. The shell is fairly thick, crunchy and juicy with a texture like a honeydew melon but I didn't taste it. The arils were sour but had a bit of sweetness so maybe it will be palatable when ripe. The flowers on all (now 4 that have bloomed) plants have a light fragrance but the blue bloom's scent seems stronger then the purple ones.
    Karyn

• passionflow
    16 years ago

I should have mentioned -never taste unripe fruit! The shell particularly will be toxic giving off cyanide as it is chewed up! Once one instance of human fatalities recorded but don't take a chance. I doubt the arils will be palatable even when fully ripe. Any hybrids with amethystina/loefgrenii/kermesina or similar in them tend to taste pretty grim unless you are a Brazilian Opossum. In the interests of science I have cautiously tasted all sorts of Passiflora fruit over the years and believe me the ones known to be edible are the only ones that are edible. Some are insipid and others taste so disgusting they may be toxic to humans even when fully ripe. It is worth noting that the foliage of many/all Passiflora is also highly toxic again releasing cyanide when damaged. See link for full info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora toxicity

• chills71
    16 years ago

Capsularis seems self-pollenating (mine is still producing fruit indoors with none of its friends blooming regularily at this time.

~Chills

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't taste the shell and only touched my tongue to the arils. If I can't eat them I do have a pair of sugar gliders (Australian opossums) that might enjoy them. lol
    Karyn

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I found the little fruit on my p. 'Incense' opened and on the ground in front of the raised bed the vines are growing in. It was probably a squirrel that pulled it off, maybe a possum or other critter. Anyway, I found 7 dark colored seeds in it - hopefully, they had enough time on the vine to mature. I planted them in a bed in my vegetable garden - I sure hope they come up!
    Here's a picture I made of the opened fruit -
    {{gwi:1134486}}
    Sherry

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They sure look ripe in the pic. Good luck.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

WOW!!! Congrats ... I hope you get something out of them...They look like they are ripe..Sounds like you have a whole heap of critters.. out there..
    Chena

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I sure DO have a lot of critters, Chena!
    And by the way, I just planted my 'Incense' this year - late spring, I think - and it's coming up everywhere already! I dug up and potted one of the volunteers for a friend - I think it's ready to go - a couple of them came up right by the fence, so they're now climbing it, I mowed over a few, and I've found still more on the other side of the fence! It took my maypops a year or so to colonize, but 'Incense' really hit the ground running! :)
    Sherry

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Incense has taken over in my yard also. It's growing in places where I know that I didn't plant it! I'd stuck a few pieces of broken roots in the garden and even they have grown into beautiful healthy vines. I wish they all grew like that one. I'll dig a couple up to winter over inside. I don't know if they'll survive the winter here or not.
    Karyn

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities