Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooms Staying Open for 3 -5 Days

Posted by Mystyspassion Z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 12:21

Hi; I live on the East Coast; NJ to be exact. Anyway since it's been getting chilly; all my plants seem have been thriving since Sept. building up for the Winter I suppose. Anyway I have 3 Amethyst's 2 in pot's and 1 in the Ground. The one in the Ground is right next to a Bay Window in my Back Yard and my Computer is set up next to the Bay Window. Anyway I noticed New Blooms Opening on my Amethyst. The Next day I saw they were still Open and they didn't look like they were Closing. I was amazed it lasted longer than 24 hrs. So I went out to Examine the Flower and I put a Tiny Black Marker Dot under 1 Petal. For 3 Consecutive Days it stayed open and I checked for the Dot because I was amazed. I know there are only a few Passi's that the Blooms stay open for more than 1 day. But the Amethyst' isn't one of them. I think it has to do with the Colder Weather. HAs this happened to anyone else. Would love to hear about it. All of my Passi's are doing great they are all still blooming, the Alata & Margaret won't stop. Also I have a Citrina that started to grow rapidly once Sept Came & a Kewensis that still hasn't bloomed but started growing more rapidly once Sept Came. Both were very small when I got them in July and they seem to grow very slow and they seem to go thru growing spurts, where they grow about 6" or so then stop and then start again weeks later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooms Staying Open for 3 -5 Days

Totally normal for the whole open/close process to slow down as the days shorten. Probably due to a combination of daylight hours and lower temps. Also many flowers including Amethyst will become paler in winter.
Many Passiflora seem to like the Autumn, they have totally recovered from the previous winter and for some the summer can be too hot for flowering. Others will only flower spring & Autumn anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. 'Amethyst' in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here