Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybonbon

ID this passion vine please,

fluffybonbon
14 years ago

Hi ,I came across this section about passiflora.

I planted the passion vine for several years but don't know the name .

Is it vine ever has seed.If this vine can grow from seed.Please help me how to collect seed .Please see pic

Comments (12)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I have no idea but it's very pretty. A pic of the foliage and leaf stem might help the passie experts give you an ID if they can't give it to you from just the bloom.

• fluffybonbon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, this vine attracted butterfly and humming bird.
    If you want cutting lmk.
    Joy

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Joy,

Do you remember where you got it?

• fluffybonbon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I purchased this plant from a Japanese nursery in Cupertino,
    about 7 years ago.

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

That would be Yamagami's?

• pshawn
    14 years ago

I've got one of these too. Can't ID it, but can tell you it makes fruit if you put caerulea or Constance Elliot pollen on it...

• eristal
    14 years ago

Unless I'm losing my mind, (which IS possible), that is Passiflora x violacea, which is a very old hybrid of P. racemosa and P. caerulea. It does not have viable pollen, but can create fruits, (though not tasty), and viable seeds which will grow into new plants with some characteristics of the paternal parent as well. I have never had this vine create fruits without human intervention, though as you say, the wildlife loves it.

We have 3 hybrids with this as the mother, one of which just bloomed last month. I posted pictures on this forum labeled "Crystal's first hybrid", or something to that nature. Check it out when you get a chance. I'm proud of our "kids".

Hope this helps...

Eric

• eristal
    14 years ago

Oops! Okay, I am going out of my mind. Not about which plant that is... it is definitely P. x violacea, (probably form 4). What I was wrong about is our hybrid. The one I pointed you toward is P. amethystina x (P. loefgrenii x P. caerulea). The one I was thinking of bloomed back in May, (my hybrid), which is P. x violacea x P. caerulea. I also put pictures up on this forum, and titles it something like "My first hybrid".

Sorry about the confusion.

Eric

• Dan8fruit
    12 years ago

Looks like a passiflora 'Victoria' to me... My neighbors have one vine just like the one in the picture on their front yard fence. I tried to get it identified too. There's a photo I took of the vine. I think it resembles it a lot!

Hope this was helpful,

Daniel

• ily68
    11 years ago

I bought this passion vine, the tag only said Blue Passion Vine. I love the flower, but would love to know the correct name of it. I would like to know also, if it's a host plant for butterflies. Thank you.

• mark4321_gw
    11 years ago

This looks like P. alatocaerulea, aka P. 'Belotii', aka P. 'Pfortii', the hybrid of P. alata and P. caerulea.

I think I've seen requests for ID'ing this hybrid perhaps more than any other. Perhaps this says something about how well the plant grows and blooms.

There are a whole bunch of these planted in front of a shopping area (Safeway, etc.) in Menlo Park, CA. They are always full of flowers. I'm going over there today; if I remember I'll take a photo.

• ily68
    11 years ago

Thank you for answering me. I looked up the name you gave me, and it looks a lot like it. Now I know what it is, and that it's a host plant too. Thanks again.

Sponsored