Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamala_gw

passiflora cutting seems dead

kamala
15 years ago

Hello everyone: As I recall it: some time ago, I found a passion vine with true blue flowers, took several cuttings and stuck them in a pot of soil. After months, the cuttings didn't take hold, so I threw all but one away. I stuck it in another pot of soil and it grew little green leaves, some of which turned black and died. Finally, I read on the forum that one should put the cuttings in soil-less mediums, so I put the remaining stem in a glass bottle. Now the last leaf has withered. The stem either never developed roots, or whatever tenuous one(s) it had, were torn off when I removed it from the pot. I have not seen another true-blue specimen like this on the street, at a nursery or on the web since, and I have looked. Given this, is there a chance that the stem will again revive itself? Kamala

Comments (2)

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Kamala,

I just had a cutting come back from a leafless stem. I don't remember whether the leaf fell or not before it began to send out some roots. Even before roots came out, though, I could see that the cutting was callused. The buds on the stem never stopped showing signs of life--there was always a little bit of green, even though it wasn't clear that new leaves would emerge. They finally did. This was the last of 3 cuttings. The first two rooted relatively quickly, so I don't know what happened here. You'll know that you have no chance when it turns black.

As far as blue flowers--you say you've looked everywhere without luck. I assume then, that P. caerulea flowers don't fit the bill? I guess they are technically bluish-purple, so then not true blue. They are certainly more blue than what the orchid people like to call blue, though.

If P. caerulea-type flowers DO fit the bill, I saw one a couple months ago at Roger Reynold's nursery in Menlo Park: P. 'Blue Horizon'. The corona filaments were electric blue from what I remember--wow! I didn't notice purple in them, but I certainly wasn't looking. I would loved to see P. caerulea and P.'Blue Horizon' next to each other. All I remember is how shockingly blue the flower was. I don't think any of the pictures online do the plant justice--it really is electric (at least the ones I saw). Maybe this color is the closest:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2532563066_7f0f7a5012.jpg?v=0

I didn't buy it then, but I picked one up this weekend at Annie's Annuals and Perennials in Richmond. Unless you are familiar with where the passionflowers are at Annies, you should probably ask, since it might take hours to find it (2 1/2 Acres of 4 inch pots). If you've never been to Annie's definitely go--it's an absolutely amazing place--very little in Passiflora at the moment, though. The plant itself was $7.25 and right now they are having a 25% off all plants sale, so I guess about $5.50. Mine has several buds--most did not.

If you are interested in this sort of blue and Annie's doesn't work for some reason (if you are in zone 17 it's probably not too far--and don't use the location as a reason not to go), let me know and I can take a cutting or two when my plant looks ready.

I'll look into getting a picture if the plant doesn't abort the buds. They should open before Annie's runs out.

Good luck!

For locals who look at Annie's catalog--their prices are dramatically lower at the nursery--most things are $4.25 (before any sale).

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Annuals

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Kamala,

If on the other hand, your blue flower looked more along the lines of P. incarnata or one of its hybrids (with a frilly corona), it would be expected to take a long time to root. I recall that the solution is to scarify the callus, dip in rooting hormone, and continue trying. You might want to do a search of the forum--I know that this was Myles Irvine's suggestion (passionflow). He has a huge site--I don't know whether this tip is there or not. He might know whether there's still hope at this point if it is indeed a plant of that group. I'm sure any additional info would help.

Sponsored