Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morningloree

Florida Collectors-Update

morningloree
9 years ago

I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative, just wondered about the successes you guys have had and things you would not recommend. Here is what I've learned:

Inground growing well and flowering (at least 6 months old)
'Lunametista' produced some empty fruit, flowers and grows vigorously. Looks a little ragged with August heat. Has not been bothered by winter here.
'Amethyst' produced a fruit and I have two seedlings from it. Flowers and grows vigorously does well in summer, may die back in a cold snap, returns faithfully.
P x belotti-grows and flowers well, no fruit for me, can get a little wilted in August.
'Incense' not the pest in my yard that some experience, fragrant flowers, tolerates summer. May die back in winter, returns faithfully. No fruit for me.
P. Vitfolia huge grower, flowers readily, produces fruit when pollinated with P. incarnata. Some leaf curl during the very hottest days in August. Tolerates winter.
P. Incarnata the wild Florida type is seasonal for me, begins to pop up in spring and when I pollinated it with P. vitfolia, had tasty fruit in August. Dies back in winter. Reappears all over the lawn.

I also have P. sanguinolenta growing in ground, flowers readily, tolerated summer, P. racemosa, flowered no fruit, no trouble with heat, same with 'Lady Margeret,' P. nephrodes, P. foetida, and P. Loefgrenii, and 'Blue Eyed Susan.'

Growing well, no flowers: 'Coral Seas,' 'Coral Glow,' 'Oaklandia,' P. Decaisneana, 'Preciosa,' P. holosericea, 'Constance Elliot,' and P. manicata.

Not growing well, but hanging in there: 'Lambiekins,' 'Panda,' 'Warmlands,' and 'Sherry.'

Comments (5)

• passiefarm
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice information ‘morningloree’- here are my observations:
    Dieback in rainy and humid weather- caerulea, and Blue Bouquet- survived, but take cuttings as a backup. Decaisneana also prone to this, but usually only affects one or two branches.

Bloom reduced in hot weather- caerulea ‘Clear Sky’, caerulea ‘Constance Eliott’, Crimson Tears, Lambiekens. Looking better now that fall has arrived.

No fruit- triloba (Pollinator missing), gibertii (hollow- even with several species to pollinate) Incense (only a couple of fruit, usually hollow) racemosa ‘Coral Flame’- fruits well, but most drop before seed is fully formed, serratifolia- needs second clone to fruit, even caerulea has not worked as pollinator.

Winter- greenhouse recommended for these- coccinea, quadrangularis, and quadriglandulosa. Will probably add more to this list, as last year’s winter was unusually mild.

Good performers- Adularia, amethystina ‘ MG’ ,citrina, Chambord, choconiana, cincinnata, decaisneana, Inspiration, Lady Margaret, loefgrenii, Monika Fischer, nigradenia, platyloba, Preciosa, Pura Vida, seemanii, sprucei, violacea ‘Victoria’, and vitifolia. Decaisneana produced excellent tasting large fruit with caerulea as pollinator.

Best overall vigor and bloom- Betty Myles Young. Even randomly produces fruit with a few seeds.
    Byron Beauty fruits well (and tasty) with most tetraploids as pollinator.

I’ve excluded all edulis and edulis flavicarpa and hybrids as I have only just started to get fruit, and I want to trial these over the winter and next year for performance. Assembled about 10 named varieties, interested in adding any cultivars I don’t have if anyone can spare some stock.

Also excluded another 30 or so species that are at seedling stage.

Bear in mind that all plants are grown in 14” (7 gal.) containers, with spray stake irrigation in standard Florida nursery mix in full sun.

• morningloree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've excluded my edulis, ligularis and flavicarpa. Ligularis I grew from seed that I got in March, it's growing well, but I need another for pollination. 'Possum Purple' seems to be loved by butterflies, although they haven't done a huge amount of damage. I've only had 2 fruits from it, last spring. 'Panama Red' is definitely sensitive to cold, I lost about 2/3 of it to butterflies and then a cold snap. It has come back and is quite large, but no flowers. Flavicarpa was accidentally weed whacked last year, but is growing well.

I lost P. quadriglandulosa, and P. incarnata 'Alba.' The P. quadriglandulosa had been growing well, without any signs of stress and 3 weeks ago, the entire plant suddenly died. I suspect a weed whacking accident. The poor loefgrenii next to it got a serious haircut. 'Alba' never grew vigorously and just sort of faded away. I trialed some seeds labeled Banana Passionfruit and they failed to thrive. I am trying to grow P. Ambigua, but so far no seedlings yet. I have very small seedlings of a Caerulea that was growing vigorously, flowering and fruiting in Croatia.

I have rooted cuttings of 'Byron's Beauty,' 'Jennifer Grace,' and 'Cyanea' that are doing well. A generous gift from another enthusiast. The 'Byron Beauty' produced a nice bloom as a rooted cutting.

I have small plants of 'Betty Myles Young,' Indigo Dreams,' and 'Crimson Tears,' is on it's way. So far they are growing well but less than 3 months old.

As far as heat, some passionflowers have surprised me and some are true to form. I suspect that Tarminiana/Mollisima species and some of those hybrids without a more vigorous heat tolerating parent would require special circumstances to grow in Florida. I tried to grow 'Mission Dolores' but it perished within a week of it's arrival. The place I got it from is not very reputable, but I haven't tried it again.

Most of the passionflowers get a generous dose of morning sun until about 12:00 or afternoon towards evening sun. We have an irrigation system that waters twice a week. I fertilize maybe once or twice a year or if it seems to be needed.

Happy to have the information about pollinating the P. decaisneana, so far I have had to rely on P. vitifolia and P. incarnata as my pollinators. I'm hoping loefgrenii recovers and I can get 'Constance Elliot' to flower. Thanks for the info, keep updates going about the Edulis and seedlings. I haven't found that much info from Florida growers.

• RetiredFlorida
    9 years ago

Some of my activity;

After dealing with wind constantly blowing over my vines I decided late last fall to put several plants in the ground.

p.incarnata did not tolerate our summer rains and drowned. p.incense a few feet away stayed alive but is not growing as fast as I expected. I have had fruit on this plant though small.

I've had amethyst for awhile and it did well in full sun, was moved to only 1/2 day sun and did not seem to do as well. It was in the ground both places.

My understanding of x belotii is that it is sterile according to Myle's website. I've never had fruit on it either but adore it's lemony scent.

I have Purple Tiger in the ground which looks like it will become a monster based on the size of it's leaves. Jennifer Grace growing well, blooms often but has stopped now, also in the ground.

Kew Gardens, Monika Fischer and Joan Marie seemed to fail upon being sunk in the ground. Monika Fischer however is fighting hard to make a recovery and may do better now it is cooling down. Panda did better for me when potted as well.

p.racemosa x racemosa'Buzios' is in the ground, isn't a fast grower like some of my plants but in just a couple months is blooming for the 3rd time! Blooms only on old growth, ie the base/root of the plant and the tip.

Blue Bouquet hearty, like caerulea, grows well in the ground and does not fade in our heat.

Byron Beauty seems to bloom non stop provided it has enough water. I don't believe you can over water this one. I've had several fruit form, open pollinated. Sanguinolenta as well seems to do well with normal watering.

I had p.loefgrenii x caerulea growing well in the ground but missed one too many waterings. Formed fruit readily, all hollow.

Have loefgrenii in the ground, 1/2 day, morning sun, has grown, long,sparsely leaved. Had black leaf, twice in one year. No blooms or buds.

My best grower has been reflexiflora. Plant on the north side of my home, in shade of confederate jasmine. Growing like no tomorrow, prolific bloomer but has not seen winter yet....Vitifolia takes a very close 2nd place, trouble free, only stopped blooming for a month this summer. Only had one fruit,dropping prematurely. Got another cutting in the ground to see if this one produces fruit any easier.

BettyMylesYoung growing well in the ground, another carefree plant. No fruit yet.

Edulis from seed died upon being planted in the ground but Flavicarpa did not and has just started blooming. Growing strong.

Another strong grower and bloomer is cyanea. With only mid day sun, growing very strong. Most unique aroma, smells like an ashtray. Too pretty and easy to grow to discard because of the aroma.

Chambord growing in the ground, blooming nicely now and in the spring.

Have other small plants, still potted that seem to be adapting well, Precosia, Macrocarpa, triloba, CE, Sprucei, etc.

Examining how many plants struggle after being put in the ground I am re-evaluating growing my plants in pots. I think nematodes are really rough on some of these vines. I think it would also make it easier to keep the soil drained.

• morningloree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Just recently I have found a whitefly infestation on some of my young vines. The infestation was only on the 3 lobed leafed vines, not P. quadriglandulosa or 'Jennifer Grace.' They also did not seem to bother P. vitifolia, which has a different texture, either. The leaves on each infested plant began to curl and brown spots occurred. The leaves lose their vitality and fall off. I had to spray them with safe soap, a potassium containing plant soap. I lost a few cuttings, I thought I was overwatering, but now my new plants are showing the same stress and I found the infestation. Mature plants don't seem to be as severely affected, but newly rooted cuttings are very susceptible to damage and death.

• morningloree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cold snap did not affect any plants. 'Preciosa' has buds. I will have to get out my zoom lense, it has grown up a tree and the top is about 15 feet up. P. vitifolia blooming like "a boss."

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996