Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mysticmoon_gw

Why cant I find these in the nurseries

mysticmoon
18 years ago

Is it the time of year or are nurseries being stubborn and not carrying these where I live. LOL. I look everytime I go to lowes or homedepot but nothing turns up I had seen them 5 yrs ago there but nothing now.

Ok done rambling

Toni

Comments (4)

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

Nothing much exciting here either..

• LIponderer
    18 years ago

The reason you won't find them now is that they are considered seasonal plants. The Home Depot here gets them early in the spring usually around mid-March-early-April depending on the weather.

If you deal alot with a specific nursery and get to know the manager they might be willing to special order what you are looking for.

You might also look for spring flower shows in your area. Some cities host large flower shows. The biggest one around here is the Philadelphia Flower Show. Alot of nurseries kick off the season with a flower show. I picked up a rather large, nice P. Edulis on a trellis at a local show for 1/2 price. I just wish my wallet was a little bigger, as I saw so many things on my wish list ;)

Hope that helps.

• mysticmoon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you I will have to see if there ever is a flower show and make sure my wallet is full when I go too. Thanks for the advice and I will be waiting till spring to see if I can find some vines then. Thank you so much
    Toni

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

You know you can get alot of them online- From various nurserys all over, and the 'ol standby ebay.. Just be sure it's shipped in the pot if you ge them there- And there's zillions of seed suppliers- The only way to get the rarer varieties without going on a jungle expidition. (Which is on my list of "things to do" someday..)

Set google to "worldwide" and ask it to find you "Passiflora Seeds OR Graines OR Samen OR Sementes OR Semilla" and you'll get quite a few results. It has a translation algorythm for the European providors, or just use Babelfish.

Last year I got a bit (um...) excited and spent way too much money on seeds.. I had packages arriving from all over the place. The postman even began to look at me a little strangely. But now I have Gosh I don't know how many varieties.. I need to go outside & write down all their names so I can look up their minimum temps- And bring in the tender ones. After I detangle everyone. Thaaaaat's gonna take a while since they went rather wild this summer. Oh well, more materiel for the cloning box, then eventually the trade section here & of cource ebay.

So they're not easy to find.. But there's many many places to get them.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County