Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredflorida

Couple of images to share-looking for ID

RetiredFlorida
11 years ago

Ok, so they're not blooms but I'm excited anyway. Unfortunately, I don't know the scientific name for either. The first one is one of two plants I belief is incarnata and this is my first bloom!

The second is a recent purchase which also appears to have a bloom already started. This is supposedly a lady margaret.

Comments (16)

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lady Margaret?

• karyn1
    11 years ago

The first plant isn't a passion vine. For the life of me I can't remember the name and I have one. They are just now starting to bloom. Not sure what variety passie the one in the 2nd pic is. Is the bloom red? If so it might be a vitifolia.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

The leaves look like the could be from a Lady Margaret, though a little light in color. But that orange/yellow flower bud looks... odd. I did a search for orange passion flowers and only came up with Passiflora aurantia, which has shorter lobes on its leaves. If you could get a picture of when that bud, or another one, opens, it might help to narrow down the possibilities.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my. I was given two of those plants (plant #1) and were told they were purple passion vine. Today it bloomed and Karyn you are right, no passiflora here. I don't know what it is.

The 2nd flower bloomed today. I see alot of images online identified as Lady Margaret, some look burgundy others red?

Darren

11 years ago

I believe what you have is the Red Passion Flower, Passiflora manicata. The radials of a Lady Margaret are more spread out and are more numerous, these extend upward much like the manicata's.

• emmettb_gw
    11 years ago

P.vitifolia

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How I missed your comment earlier Karyn, not sure but yeah I think you and Emmettb are right on the money. The center of my flower isn't quite as dark as the Lady Margaret.

Exquisite beauty and tickled to finally have a blooming passion flower.

Do I have to have another plant for this to produce fruit?

Thanks Karyn, Emmett and Leekle for taking a stab at this.

Darren

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Definitely P. vitifolia. It's a beautiful and very floriferous passie. It does need another plant to pollinate it. The fruits are quite pretty as well. They are green and white striped. I'm still going crazy trying to remember the name of the plant in your first pic. The tag from mine is long gone. It think it's a two word name. Eventually I'm going to remeber or go nuts trying! lol Lady Margaret has a flat bloom, white center and not as red. I believe it's a hybrid of vitifolia and caerulea and the shape of the flower is like a caerulea. It's also the only red passie that's not toxic to Gulf Fritillary caterpilars.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Got it!!!The plant in the first pic is a Cape Honeysuckle "Tecomaria Capensis".

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Karyn! I spent close to 2 hours last night trying to find it. Googling little red flowers is maddening! Now they are starting to flower here, I spotted another one that I pass frequently on the road!! Never noticed it before this.

So my new red beauty is toxic to butterflies?

Darren

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I don't know why but red flowered passion vines are toxic to caterpillars. The Lady Margaret isn't toxic due to it's caerulea parentage. I have no idea if the Cape Honeysuckle is a host for any butterflies but I'm sure that plenty of adult butterflies nectar on it. By thr time it blooms here the butterflies are gone. It's normally in the greenhouse by the time it blooms here.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had the choice between two "red" passion vines, one was a little more burgundy and one was more red, I guess I should've done my homework first.

Thank you Karyn.

Darren

11 years ago

Retired, if you want a Lady Margaret and you're near Gainesville, you can keep an eye on the Butterfly Rainforest exhibit at the museum there. They change what plants they have on sale from week to week and Lady Margaret regularly comes up as an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainforest shop

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Leekle, yeah they have some nice stuff. I need to watch that website a little more closely. I do get up that way from time to time. They have 3 different passifloras this week!

Darren

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Darren you shouldn't have any problem finding a Lady Margaret. It's one of the most commonly grown passies and is usually available from many of the online vendors. I like the vitifolia much better but that's just my personal preference. You can grow so many passiflora varieties, just about anything besides the tasconias.

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karyn, I am looking forward to growing these beauties. It would be kind of nice to have a couple of vines that won't be decimated by the butterflies because I have seen what they do to the ones they like! I'll be sure to plant plenty for my little friends.

Darren

Sponsored