Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

My Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea hasn't bloomed yet, but it's time that I post on it.

I'm just starting to grow this plant, but I've been told it's one of the more vigorous and floriferous hybrids. Just as a warning--I was told not to put this in the ground, as it can be more aggressive than P. caerulea. I did put one in the ground, and my sister did as well. In both cases there are limited spots it can spread to. I think...

This is a Passionflower that is tolerant of the heat, I understand, and can also take a fair amount of cold. I've usually heard 15 or 18 degrees. I assume this is for mature plants, growing in the ground.

Since I don't have a flower to show yet, I have to post pictures of others'. Annie's Annuals and Strybing Arboretum are the places that I am aware of that sell the plant. Perhaps also on Ebay. I asked recently who made the hybrid. A couple people thought perhaps Don Mahoney, curator of the San Francisco Botanical Garden (Strybing) but I don't have confirmation on this.

Here's the plant growing and blooming at Annie's Annuals.

{{gwi:74296}}

At the bottom I also give a link to a photo of the plant blooming in a 1 gallon pot, posted previously here by Eric Wortman/Crystal Stone (Eristal). I've seen the plant bloom in a 1 gallon pot a number of times, at Strybing sales.

I like the fact the hybrid has the long peduncles found in its P. loefgrenii parent.

Here's my plant not blooming, in the ground in San Carlos, CA.

It looks happy, and has formed small buds and later aborted them. I think it's a matter of just a little time until actual flowers emerge.

This is a really easy one to propagate. I do have some rooted cuttings and I can send one for postage to those interested. These are probably best sent in a box, but I would guess that they might make it in an envelope. Email me if interested.

In areas that get frost, these would presumably have to spend at least the first winter inside. In zone 9+ (perhaps 8b) they should be able to ultimately make it outside all year.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia