Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 19:40

My Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea hasn't bloomed yet, but it's time that I post on it.

I'm just starting to grow this plant, but I've been told it's one of the more vigorous and floriferous hybrids. Just as a warning--I was told not to put this in the ground, as it can be more aggressive than P. caerulea. I did put one in the ground, and my sister did as well. In both cases there are limited spots it can spread to. I think...

This is a Passionflower that is tolerant of the heat, I understand, and can also take a fair amount of cold. I've usually heard 15 or 18 degrees. I assume this is for mature plants, growing in the ground.

Since I don't have a flower to show yet, I have to post pictures of others'. Annie's Annuals and Strybing Arboretum are the places that I am aware of that sell the plant. Perhaps also on Ebay. I asked recently who made the hybrid. A couple people thought perhaps Don Mahoney, curator of the San Francisco Botanical Garden (Strybing) but I don't have confirmation on this.

Here's the plant growing and blooming at Annie's Annuals.

Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea

At the bottom I also give a link to a photo of the plant blooming in a 1 gallon pot, posted previously here by Eric Wortman/Crystal Stone (Eristal). I've seen the plant bloom in a 1 gallon pot a number of times, at Strybing sales.

I like the fact the hybrid has the long peduncles found in its P. loefgrenii parent.

Here's my plant not blooming, in the ground in San Carlos, CA.

Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea in the ground

It looks happy, and has formed small buds and later aborted them. I think it's a matter of just a little time until actual flowers emerge.

This is a really easy one to propagate. I do have some rooted cuttings and I can send one for postage to those interested. These are probably best sent in a box, but I would guess that they might make it in an envelope. Email me if interested.

Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea rooted cuttings

In areas that get frost, these would presumably have to spend at least the first winter inside. In zone 9+ (perhaps 8b) they should be able to ultimately make it outside all year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eric and Crystal's picture of P. loefgrenii x caerulea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea

It looks similar to P. amethyst.

o

Hi Karyn,

It does, in many ways. The parentage is similar: P. 'Amethyst' is P. kermesina x P. caerulea. P. kermesina and P. loefgrenii are very similar in many ways.

Some of the differences: P. loefgrenii x caerulea has longer peduncles, the filaments in the center are darker and poofed up more (both P. kermesina and P. loefgrenii have a "Dr. Seuss' look to them). I think overall both the flower and the vine of P. loefgrenii x caerulea are more "robust", so that would make P. 'Amethyst' more "gracile". I think those are words that can be applied to plants... Hopefully that makes sense.

P. loefgrenii x caerulea also much more readily forms fruit. Not that it's something one would want to eat.

I've grown P. 'Amethyst' but don't have it now. A comparison photo would be interesting if anyone does. P. loefgrenii x caerulea flowers "seem" larger to me, but I'm not sure if that's actually true.

o

I still have the plants, for postage. I thought I would add another couple photos--closeups of the flowers.

This is a great hybrid, which is why Annie's Annuals, Brushwood Nursery, and the SF Botanical Garden (where the hybrid was created) all sell it. It is a recent hybrid.

I photographed the flowers at Annie's Annuals:

Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea at Annie's Annuals

Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea at Annie's Annuals

In case you are wondering why it doesn't have a "name", I don't think is due to the fact that the hybrid is new. I believe it's because there are related hybrids made in Europe, and Passiflora Society rules prevent one from registering a second, similar hybrid under a new name. Passiflora 'Betty Myles Young' is one of the simlar hybrids that comes to mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here