Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting passiflora....

Posted by Joe2012 7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 19:53

I have recently bought two passiflora incarnata plants, both of them being only a year old in 4 inch pots. I spoke with several growers of this plant and some told me I should wait till spring to plant because the plants are so young. Some told me to get them in the ground and mulch heavily and cover when the frosts came. We haven't had a frost here yet but it is getting down in the 50's maybe a little colder at night. Can I plant them and then just cover them up to protect them from frost? And if I do plant them now will the roots take hold and survive? And comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks. ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting passiflora....

Since it's late in the season I'd wait until spring to plant them. If we have another mild winter like last year they'd be fine but if the winter is severe you might lose them. I'd err on the side of caution. You don't have to keep the plants inside under lights over the winter. I keep container grown cold hardy passies dormant in an unheated greenhouse. They're fine as long as the soil in the container doesn't freeze solid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here