Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion Vines that are posionous to caterpillarsi

Posted by flyingflowers7 zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 21:36

I bought a passion vine at Lowes and the caterpillars died shortly after they emerged. I had the plant in my garage in a pot so I know no predators got the CATS. I don't know the name of the passion vine but it had purple flowers and rather thick leaves. I have since thrown it away. Does anyone know the names of the passion vines that are poisonous to the caterpillars?

Several years ago I had a passion vine that had beautiful
red flowers and had the same problem with it.I I returned that one to Lowe's. The only other passion vines I have bought in the past are Princess Margaret and the CATS love them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion Vines that are posionous to caterpillarsi

I would assume that any newly purchased Passiflora (or any non-food plant) is covered with pesticide.

o

I had bought this particular passion vine about 2 months ago. I had hosed it off plus we have had many hard rains which should have rinsed any sprays off. The caterpillars (about 30 zebra broad wings ) just died about 4 days ago, So I have to assume something is wrong with that particular kind of passion vine.

o

In that case one would suspect a systemic insecticide had been applied. It will not wash off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of a systemic insecticide that kills for up to 12 months

o

I'm thinking like Mark is. It had to be a systemic. Some of them last for a year. Sorry to hear about your loss of zebra
(long?)wings. I have fresh p. suberosa seeds if you want to grow from scratch, they are still in the little fruits. Zebras love them, and they emerge within a month from fresh seed.

o

There are also some passionvines that are indeed poisonous to caterpillars. I believe Red Passionvine, P. vitifolia, is one of the ones that are not recommended for Florida because, while the butterflies will lay their eggs on the vine, the caterpillars can not eat them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here