Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

Passion flower fruit planting

jeep461
14 years ago

My native Incarnata (maypop) had not fruited in years. I had bought a bunch of plants to cross with it. They did not survive. Well I have a flock of hummers and I guess they found another plant cause not I have a bunch of fruit.

How do I save the seeds. Planting instructions....

Comments (5)

• johnnycc
    14 years ago

I have collected seeds from the dried flowers, but have never had the patience to see it through to sow them. I find cuttings much easier to produce new plants.
    I have just harvested dozens of cuttings from my mother plants.
    I will be wintering the mother plants in my basement, next to my fig and olive tree.
    I have good success with rooting the cuttings and then potting them for next spring.
    Good Luck!

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

jeep,

Do you have those huge all black bees (Xylocopa) where you are? I know that in many places those are supposed to be the primary pollinators of P. incarnata.

I think it would be nice if someone did a detailed post about growing Passiflora from seed, including pictures. I'll do the same for cuttings--I'll try to start tomorrow. Hopefully those will follow up with results, and give people a chance to answer questions and give feedback.

Since I don't grow incarnata and I grow Passiflora from cuttings, someone else should fill you in. I do believe you have to stratify (store the seeds in the fridge) for weeks or even a couple months. That's not the case for almost all Passiflora.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Hi Jim,
    Wait for the fruit to completely ripen. I try to let them just drop or if they release at the slightest touch they're usually ripe. I try to store the seeds in the arils for as long as possible. I've scooped them from the fruit and put them in the fridge for a while. You can also clean, dry and store them in a cool dry place. I've also allowed edulis fruit just to sit out and shrivel up and the seeds germinated just fine.

Like Randy said I do believe that incarnata seeds germinate best with a period of cold stratification of about a month but I've sowed them (incarnata) directly in the spring and had ok results.

I never got any fruit on the vines that you sent to me but they did grow beautifully for quite a while. Last winter was just too cold and wet and they didn't return this spring. I did have other incarnata vines that I'd grown from seed come back but just barely. They didn't even emerge until sometime in July.

• eristal
    14 years ago

Anyone growing Passiflora from seed should read this from Myles:

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passiflora-passion-flower-seed.htm

Follow all the links. There may be more information than you really wanted... great site.

Eric

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes I have the big black bees and every other type of insect. This is the 1st time in years I have had hummers live here. The seed pods are about 10-20 feet up in the trees. My hummers are on them daily sometime 2 or more times.

These Passies are special to me cause they are the only one that survive here. Thanks Karyn and Eric mine a just ripening now. October through December are the best time for starting seeds here. I have to figure what ever the cross was it has to be hardy so it will be fun to see what color they are.

Jim

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert