Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion flower fruit planting

Posted by jeep461 Z9 Texas coast (jpotts461@gmail.com) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 21:41

My native Incarnata (maypop) had not fruited in years. I had bought a bunch of plants to cross with it. They did not survive. Well I have a flock of hummers and I guess they found another plant cause not I have a bunch of fruit.

How do I save the seeds. Planting instructions....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion flower fruit planting

I have collected seeds from the dried flowers, but have never had the patience to see it through to sow them. I find cuttings much easier to produce new plants.
I have just harvested dozens of cuttings from my mother plants.
I will be wintering the mother plants in my basement, next to my fig and olive tree.
I have good success with rooting the cuttings and then potting them for next spring.
Good Luck!

o

jeep,

Do you have those huge all black bees (Xylocopa) where you are? I know that in many places those are supposed to be the primary pollinators of P. incarnata.

I think it would be nice if someone did a detailed post about growing Passiflora from seed, including pictures. I'll do the same for cuttings--I'll try to start tomorrow. Hopefully those will follow up with results, and give people a chance to answer questions and give feedback.

Since I don't grow incarnata and I grow Passiflora from cuttings, someone else should fill you in. I do believe you have to stratify (store the seeds in the fridge) for weeks or even a couple months. That's not the case for almost all Passiflora.

o

Hi Jim,
Wait for the fruit to completely ripen. I try to let them just drop or if they release at the slightest touch they're usually ripe. I try to store the seeds in the arils for as long as possible. I've scooped them from the fruit and put them in the fridge for a while. You can also clean, dry and store them in a cool dry place. I've also allowed edulis fruit just to sit out and shrivel up and the seeds germinated just fine.

Like Randy said I do believe that incarnata seeds germinate best with a period of cold stratification of about a month but I've sowed them (incarnata) directly in the spring and had ok results.

I never got any fruit on the vines that you sent to me but they did grow beautifully for quite a while. Last winter was just too cold and wet and they didn't return this spring. I did have other incarnata vines that I'd grown from seed come back but just barely. They didn't even emerge until sometime in July.

o

Anyone growing Passiflora from seed should read this from Myles:

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passiflora-passion-flower-seed.htm

Follow all the links. There may be more information than you really wanted... great site.

Eric

o

Yes I have the big black bees and every other type of insect. This is the 1st time in years I have had hummers live here. The seed pods are about 10-20 feet up in the trees. My hummers are on them daily sometime 2 or more times.

These Passies are special to me cause they are the only one that survive here. Thanks Karyn and Eric mine a just ripening now. October through December are the best time for starting seeds here. I have to figure what ever the cross was it has to be hardy so it will be fun to see what color they are.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here