Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to buy for spring planting?

Posted by greenleaf_organic 8 San Antonio, TX (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 21:52

Hi, I am new to passion flowers and want to plant a fruiting variety for spring planting in the ground. Can I start one in a pot and overwinter in the house, or do they naturally go dormant in the winter regardless? (I am in zone 8) The reason I ask is so that I can start looking now to find a good variety and then maybe get a head start on growth.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to buy for spring planting?

I am planning on winter sowing some this winter. That way I won't have to worry about the stratification process. I will probably start this early January. Also another advantage to winter sowing you don't have to worry about harden off a plant or damp off. It is all done outside!!

You should check out the winter sowing forum's faqs page and it will tell you more about it.

o

You have to decide what variety (or varieties for pollination) you want. The cold hardy varieties are grown more for their ornamental value then the taste of their fruit.

o

Hello,

The most commonly available edible species of Passiflora are the edulis varieties. If you are overwintering indoors, there is no reason you cannot get one now. The only concern would be spider mites which are rampant indoors, and P. edulis is quite susceptible. You will just have to keep a good eye on it.

Now to pimp out one of my favorite sites for Passifloras. Go to www.gkexoticplants.com. Elizabeth still has 3 different varieties of P.edulis available, and she is having her big annual 40% sale right now! They won't last long...

In zone 8, there are actually a decent amount of Passifloras that you could grow outdoors, but many are harder to find. Email me directly if you need more help.

Good luck,

Eric Wortman
www.bloomingpassion.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here