Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmoore2_gw

grocery store passion fruit questions

tmoore2
19 years ago

1 what species of passiflora are the passion fruit found in grocery stores?

2 what time of year can they be found? (i have never seen them)

3 has anyone tried to grow these from seed and did they sprout easily?

Comments (33)

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

1 what species of passiflora are the passion fruit found in grocery stores?

There are different types of passion fruit that can be found in the market. I believe two of the "commoner" ones is P. mollissima and P. Ligularis -- others that live in southern states could best answer this. Many passion flower varieties produce edible fruit.

2 what time of year can they be found? (i have never seen them)

I have never seen them in stores in the Seattle area either. I believe my friends in california said they could be found most of the year. Apparently they are quite perishable and do not ship well so us up in the northern states rarely, if ever, see them.

3 has anyone tried to grow these from seed and did they sprout easily?

Yes, they can be grown from seed - even from grocery store fruit. Passion flowers can take up to a year to germinate --- although last month, the two year old P. morifolia seeds I started 25 out of 30 germinated within 11 days.

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

I find the fruit in the grocery stores here in Texas quite frequently. The ones for sale here are Eudlis. I have never seen any other. I planted seeds from the store fruit twice and both times I had really good germination. If you plant them directly from the fruit without letting them dry they germinate within a few days to a couple of weeks (in my experience). I also have planted the seeds from fruit grown on my plants with the same results. I think the trick to getting faster germination is the fresh seed. The Eudlis gets to be a really large vine. Very lush with large dark green leaves.

Patsy

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Edulis is the only one we see, and it is the "main" type of commerce. They sprout rather easily from seed and the best place to find them is in an "ethnic" grocery store or farmers market. Every big city has one or two. Expensive, but worth it. You can also google "passionfruit for sal" or "pasionfruit recipe" and there is a Florida company that will ship you fresh fruit any time of the year.

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

I see them sometomes in the fall in Safeway- $2 each, at least but they contain at least 100 seeds... That many from E-Bay would cost a whole lot more. They're always the black edulis which in my expierence isn't that juicy, maybe containing a teaspoon of juice & dehydrated, sticky pulp, if that.

The pulp / juice definately isn't as good as that from my frederic, (red fruits) but I opened and juiced mine before they started to wrinkle. I picked him up 2 or so months ago at Lowe's- They had 3, had I been sure they weren't all clones (geneticly the same) I would have bought them all. Today I'm going to check back there and at Home Depot (convienently across the street) to see if they have any more.

I've gotten 3 fruits so far, one's still on the vine developing, and it's been throwing at least one flower a day which I've been hand polinating. With luck he's self fertile as I don't have anything else blooming now to cross it with. (big) IF all the flowers develope I'll have 10 to 20 fruits! WOO HOO!

I've got limited seeds right now- Anyone wishing 5 to 10 may send $0.50 of stamps for a return of seeds in a padded envelope.

I've taken some cuttings as well, but so far none have rooted and / or began to grow. If / when they do, they'll be up for trade.
    {{gwi:1134900}}

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

I would love to try the frederic passie. Please send me your address and I will get your stamps in the mail. Is there anything you are looking for that I could exchange for them?

Patsy

• tmoore2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

which species do you have seeds from? just edulis and frederic or do you have more?

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

I have Edulis v. frederic (red fruit) & flavicarpa (yello fruit) as well as (lots of) caerulea, and (precious few) quadrangularis, alata, & ligularis.

I'll take other seeds in trade, seeds of tropical fruits that is, or you can just ask and I'll give them.

• bejoy_gw
    19 years ago

Hi...I would truly love some of your extra passiflora seed if you have any left to share. Uunfortnately, I don't have anything you have listed on your want lists. But if you still have some to share for an SASE..please email me your address and I will get one out to you right away. *G* I think they are such stunning plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: My exchange page

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

Still have seeds of all listed above should anyone still want some.
    I'm about to pick the big 'ol fruit in the picture- It's still just as green & I wonder if it will ripen better inside.

The Fred is blooming again, but it's rather cold and wet here so the pollen thingies aren't opening properly. I've tried bringing some in and am trying to dry them to see if they'll open, but no luck so far. Should anyone have expierience with this toss me that clue & I'll have more seed to trade in a few months.

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

Oh Yeah...
    Last... Whatever I picked up a couple store passi fruits (purple) took out all the seeds, put them on the dresser to dry, and promptly lost them.

I was outside last week looking around at the things I don't check very often and found to my suprise in the pot with my hoseradish (store-bought & planted to see if it would grow.. It did..) about 30 young passionflowers. They *look* like edulis, and the only seeds I had when I planted that horseradish were the store edulis. So... I'm guessing that's what they are. This weekend I'm going to try to seperate them out, see how many survive...

Guess I found those seeds huh?

I'm still hoping to see some in the store- Even at 3 or 4 bucks each that's cheap when 10 to 15 seeds are $2 or $3 from the seed store before shipping. Seems like this time of year is the right time as I lost those seeds just after I movd into this place ... Which was about this time last year.

Maybe I'll troll the produce this weekend & ask the store guy when / if he expects to get some...

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

You can google "pasionfruit for sale" and get websites that will ship you whole boxes of them for less than $1 per fruit.

• arktikos
    19 years ago

Hey gang,

Can someone email me privately with the name or address of one thwe website where I can purchase the fruit?. I have been goggling and I am not coming up with anything for (whole) passion fruit for sale. THanks!

Gene

• tmoore2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Krstofer i would like some. where do i send the stamps and envelope?

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

Krstofer, I received my seed from you and wanted to thank you for them. Got them all planted. Just wondering about the blooms on the Fred. Are they larger than the black/purple Eudlis you get from store fruit? I have a vine started from what was suppose to be Alata seeds but produced a bloom the same color as my store Eudlis. Looks like the picture you posted. The difference is that the bloom is almost twice as large and extremely fragrant. The stems also have a reddish color instead of the green of the other. The vine in question was started from seed last year and had one small bloom on it last fall and did not bloom again until this fall so I am assuming it is more a fall/late summer bloomer. If this is not a Frederic does anyone have any idea as to what it is?

Patsy

• tmoore2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you Krstofer :) the seeds arrived today.

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

Hey Patsy-
    I really have no idea- You'll have to wait for fruit & see what color it is. My neighbor has a flavicarpa- his flowers look just like the ones on my frederic. If they were growing in the same place I woudn't be able to tell which was which untill the fruit set.

• rdanna
    19 years ago

Gene,

I'm not sure if someone emailed you with a website that sells fresh passion fruit but I looked around a little and found florida-based www.agroworld.com. The prices seem pretty reasonable, around $1 per fruit including shipping. They also have some other things that look pretty tasty!

Have any of you ordered from them before? I can never find passion fruit around here and I really want to order some, but I'm worried about the quality. I'd also be happy to enter someone's customer ID to earn them the 3% "referral bonus".

• patsy_b
    19 years ago

Krstofer-Just wanted to let you know that the seed you sent me have started to germinate. Have one baby so far. I am so excited. Thanks again.

Patsy

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

I haven't ordered from agroworld, but I plan to.

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

Tmore I am in North Carolina and just wanted to let you know that I have just seen Passionfruit in the Foodlion Grocery Store. You may be able to find them now.

• tmoore2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks, i'll see if i can find them.

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

Teo Years Ago I bought a Fruit of P.edulis in The Local Stop n Shop, the seeds germinated in about 1 week *surprise* so there i was last summer, with Bazillions of Fruit, but NO CLUE about how to cook, perapare, or do anything with them; so i threw them into the juicer and voila

• tmoore2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

GardenerDc it took yours 2 years to produce fruit? do you put them outdoors in the spring/summer? grow them in a greenhouse? my p caerulea hasn't produced flowers yet, i think it's almost 4, but i have it indoors year round.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

2 years for a crop of fruit is exactly right.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Yeah - they can bloom and fruit as young as 2 - 3 (and I've seen some references mention a year - although perhaps 1.5 years depending on the season). However getting them in alot of light in the more northern areas, seems to be critical.

• treble
    19 years ago

GardnerDc,
    Where is there passionfruit at the local Stop/Shop? I thought Stop/Shops existed only in the Northeast. Have you seen any elsewhere? I'm usually grocery shopping over here on the MD side. What time of the year was it? I'm just over the border in MD. Having just spent a year in Australia, where they have many varieties of passionfruit, my son and I are craving them desperately. The canned syruppy stuff that I lugged back with us are NOT to be compared with the fresh fruit. I'm a newbie at all this gardening stuff. If I get a hold of some seed, can you tell me how you got it to germinate in your zone? Was it very involved? Did you try any winter sowing? I'm 6/7 MD. (I didn't think they'd grow here, but you've obviously been successful. I'll trade your germination tips for some yummy Aussie dessert recipes calling for passionfruit. They are also awesome just spooned out of their shells, a crunchy delight with an unmistakeable aroma! I don't know that I can stand to wait 2 years. I'd probably be more apt to buy the fruit if I can find it:) Meanwhile, I'll take a peek at that FL website mentioned above.

• Vulture61
    19 years ago

Anybody has P. Frederick seeds or plants to trade or spare? Please LMK.

Omar

• jimshy
    19 years ago

Don't mean to dampen the enthusiasm -- if you got seeds, grow 'em and share 'em! -- but if you're looking for the best quality fruiting, you should know that commercially sold fruit are from cutting-grown varieties, selected because they produce good fruit, and the seeds from those fruit may not produce nearly as well or as good quality. Just so's you know!

Jim

• chocochris
    19 years ago

I tried the agroworld website mentioned above but I could not find how to order any less than fruit by the flat. Has anyone successfully ordered from them?

After a lengthy search, I finally found a store (a very gourmet/pricey store) that is ordering some from their vendor and they will have them available on Monday the 28th. They are charging $2.50/fruit. It seems like that is pretty much on target - what do you think?

I'll be making a puree with them for a dessert but I hadn't thought of saving the seed - great idea! I don't know what type they are but I'd be happy to offer them to anyone interested.

Chris

• john_ny
    19 years ago

I usually look, whenever I'm in a supermarket, or fruit store, to see if they have any unusual fruits. A few weeks ago, we were in Fort Lauderdale, to attend the Tropical Plant Industry Exposition. We stopped at the local Publix supermarket and they had Passionfruit, egg sized burgundy ones. I took one to the check-out, and the woman there said that before she rung it up, she wanted to let me know that they were expensive, $1.99 each. I took it anyway, because I knew I'd get lots of seeds out of it An exhibitor at the show, a tropical fruit nursery was passing out samples of a red fleshed oval shaped guava, and carambola (star fruit), so I got some of those. Then we went to the huge flea market they have there, called Swap Shop. I got round yellow passionfruit there for 2 for a quarter! I also got a round yellow skinned, white fleshed guava, and a papaya. I've done mangoes in the past, also, but here in New York, everything has to go in the greenhouse for the winter, and mangoes get to be such giant trees.

• adchon
    18 years ago

Passion Fruit can be grown easily from seed.
    The only thing is to add a little water to the seeds and allow them to ferment for 24/96 hours then wash,dry, & put in cool storage till they are planted.
    There are web sites that give a lot of advice on Passion fruit, they grow very well in the right conditions and you might as well give up if those conditions are not met Eg they will drown in conditions of prolonged water logging. And like any plant must have some water, how much is the question.
    Google to get full explanation on seed treatment: Saving Passion Fruit Seeds

• slice
    17 years ago

I grew these seeds a year ago and this is easily grown and pretty hardy. I just planted the seeds in soil immediate;ly after eating the fruit. The plant is now about 1-1/2 feet tall and is growing nice big light green leaves. Living in NY, I take it inside in the winter and bring it back outside in the summer. It's one of the only plants I have that survived these changes well. I lost a kiwi plant and a starfruit palnt last fall doing this. Quite easy too grow so have fun.

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Krstofer,
    Hi I saw your offer from last year and wanted to see if you would be offering any this year. I have never seen any passion fruit in the stores. I have a Lavendar Lady and a mystery passie that I found at Walmart this year. I have a couple sprouts of Passiflora Incarnata & am trying to sprout some seeds that I got from ebay, I think I noticed that one had sprouted (not sure which variety as I planted several)I know that I got p edulis but I would love to get some of your Frederic. If I ever get these all going and get fruit I will be sharing seeds as well.
    Thanks,
    Debbie

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia