Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slfrance

Scented Passion Vines

sharonlf
18 years ago

This was my first summer for Passion Vine. I am growing an Incense Vine and simply love it. Are there any other passifloras that are scented?

Comments (9)

• cincinnata
    18 years ago

Yesterday I had 13 Decaisneana in flower in my front patio and the scent was almost overwhelming. Alata is also highly scented as is Belotti - I can always tell when I have flowers just by the scent (I may have to search in the jungle to find the flowers but I know they are there!) The relatively new hybrid Marijke is also highly scented.

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

I guess my nose must be broken.. I have several caerulea variants & none have an odor I can find when in bloom.. And my belotti has none either. My incense however is quite wonderfull.. It's covering a (gosh waddya callit?) patio shade-making roof-like thing (what's the word for that? Help!) so unless I look up I forget it's there- It's been blooming all summer as there's hundreds of dried flowers covering the patio floor.. But like I said, rarely do I see one of the flowers. But the delicate odor wafts around & through the house at times suprising me.. It's quite nice.

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

My P. 'Elizabeth' is blooming now, and is quite fragrant.

Pergola?

~kiwinut

• daveh_sf
    18 years ago

One that I like is "Allspice", a.k.a. "New Incense". It's more fragrant than "Incense". There's also "Sunburst", but I wouldn't call it a pleasant fragrance! It's more like paint thinner.

• sharonlf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have never seen the "Allspice". Is it available online anywhere that you know of?

• daveh_sf
    18 years ago

I haven't seen 'Allspice' available at any online source. I found mine at a local San Francisco nursery. The grower is Monterey Bay Nursery, but it's wholesale only. Their info about 'Allspice' is at: http://montereybaynsy.com/P.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Info about 'Allspice'

• Mystyspassion
    18 years ago

I have Alata too and the Aroma is intoxicating. I notice many of them have a Stronger Aroma at Night. I also have an Amethyst Passion Plant outside and I have a great view of it while I am on the Computer. Anyway I don't know if it has to do with the Cold Lately. But my Blooms are staying open for 3 Days, 1 is on it's 4th day and it just started to close today. I know there are just a few Passi's that the Blooms stay open for more than 1 day. But the Amethyst is not one of them. I think it has to do with the Chillier Weather. It's also not as Lavender of a Color, it's more of a Whitish Lavender. It's been so nice seeing the blooms every day and being able to enjoy them while on the computer. Does anyone else on the East Coast see this with any of their Passi's.

• ninecrow
    18 years ago

Mum's got a Caerulea 'Constance Elliot' Outside thats Scented...

• jimshy
    18 years ago

I'm always into fragrance: ones I have personally tested are:

alato-caerulea, aka belottii
    alata
    caerulea (rather faint)
    incense
    incarnata
    phoenecia

check listings in popular online nurseries (Logees, Kartuz, Glasshouseworks, etc.) for others.

Supposedly St. Rule is one of the most fragrant passies of all, but it seems to be practically nonexistent these days. Anyone got it?

Jim

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?