Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora species

Posted by nicolenanette 92019 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 0:05

I would like to know how to take a cutting of this plant.
A neighbor told me i could cut some of his. I only have
Passiflora caerulea. The gulf frittaleries ate it up, but i know it will pop up in the garden once again this next spring. I just would love to know how to start cuttings. Do i need to take a ziplock bag of dirt with me? Or a pot of dirt so i can cut it, and immediatly plant it and bring it directly home. THANK YOU
Nicole zone 9b.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora species

Are you digging up a shoot or taking a cutting from the vine? I've been pretty successful rooting passiflora cuttings with a bit of rooting powder in soil using bottom heat. I've even had some varieties root in water. I don't think it's necessary to bring dirt with you, just take it home and pot it up.

o

Why thank you! I hope to have maybe 3 types. We built a pergola and we have the p caerulea, and a type of jasmine. I loved the passionflower as it used the pomegranite tree, but my husband hated it. : ( again THANK YOU!!

o

I have raised several Passiflora species from commercial seed, most of which seem to be true to name, but I am puzzling over this one, which was sold as P. coccinea. I have posted a picture to the Garden Web Gallery under Name That Plant, and wonder if anyone can advise. I am doing this because I have had a lot of disappointments with commercial seed - A plant raised as Mucuna bennettii (New Guinea Creeper)has just flowered - and turned out to be a rather unattractive Afgekia!

o

I've had really good success in rooting passiflora cuttings using florists' foam. If you're still looking for rooting info, e-mail me and I'll give you the details.

o

As long as you don't let the cut ends dry out you'll be fine. Or just cut enough vine that you can nip an inch or so off the end before you stick it into whatever medium you're using.

Powdered rooting hormone rarely works for me- I use the liquid. harder to find, but it's in the water the plant sucks up to feed itself therefore gets drawn into where it needs to be to work.

I built a cloning box a long time ago- Building instructions are here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here