Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antbeez6

square stemmed cuttings

antbeez6
16 years ago

How long does it take to root passionflowers that have the square stems? I have one rooting (cutting was dipped in root powder and placed in a pot with potting soil) going, but I don't want to disturb the new roots if there are any. When can I expect to have roots?

Comments (7)

• chena
    16 years ago

I don't know that being square will make a difference.. Mine don't all root at the same speed... but I root mine in water..
    Chena

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I root mine in water also. I don't think stem shape has anything to do with how long it takes either. I'd just leave your cutting alone and wait until you get a decent amount of new growth before messing with it. I'd give it at least 6 weeks.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

I use (karyn hates this LOL) floral foam and rooting hormone .. I have had wonderful results.. some are more stubborn than others tho..

• antbeez6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm trying to root alata and macrocarpa. My experience with rooting them in water is that they don't form roots. The end in the water just gets a little mushy. The alata that I'm trying to root in peat and with rooting hormone seems to be staying alive but hasn't grown any yet. I want to check the roots but am scared to disturb them.
    How long does it take to root with floral foam and rooting hormone, chena?

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

The problem with rooting in water is often a lack of sufficient oxygen. Anyone ever try putting an airstone in the water, hooked up to an aquarium pump?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I have great results rooting my Alata in water. Yes Kiwinut I usually do use an aerator and a seed mat. I use some type of aeration for all varieties of cuttings, not just passies.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

I have had some root in a matter of days but I also have a P.Gilbertiana that has been there for mo.s and has put on 8" of growth not the first root and I was struggling to keep it alive when it was potted up...I don't know there is a system.. Lady M rooted up in 4 days it was stick...So long as it looks healthy I would just let it take it's sweet time...As for the air stone .. alot of people over on the Brug side have used it with Passi's (plunk them in with the Brugs) with great success.. it takes all of that changing of the water out of the mix.. I like to change the water..I get up get DH off feed the dogs and get a cup of coffee and check on my Passi cuttings.. I change the water daily.. My Zen time!!LOL
    Chena

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting