Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Passiflora manta

karyn1
13 years ago

A P. manta bloom. This is another that I really like the foliage. I should have included some in the pic. Thanks Crystal

Comments (17)

• pshawn
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Mine's in a hanging basket and I love the foliage too. Thanks Eric and Crystal!!!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bloom looks a bit like a corkystem on steroids.

• michaelg_sz17
    13 years ago

I like this one a lot too. But it seems 'Manta' doesn't like the cool temperatures here along the coast. Even in the unheated greenhouse it is growing only very slowly. It blooms nicely though.

• willow1987
    13 years ago

Wow that is an interesting bloom.

• eristal
    13 years ago

You both are welcome, Karyn and Shawn!

It is a great plant, isn't it? Our main plant is in a hanging basket, has been blooming since spring, and is still going.

However, I have to agree with michaelg that it is very sensitive to cold. Any cold at all will usually cause damage. Protect it during the cold season...

Here are a couple of pics I took recently:

Eric and Crystal

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mine's in the greenhouse which is fairly cool at night and it's doing quite well. Depending on how sunny it is the greenhouse is anywhere from the mid 60's to upper 70's during the day and down into the mid 50's at night.

• willow1987
    13 years ago

im going to look for one next year. It seems rare

• stefaniama
    13 years ago

the mine It's still flowering!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My manta spent a few weeks with nighttime temps in the low 40's and it's continued to bloom. The growth did slow but it didn't suffer any damage.

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

When some of you say your passis in a hanging basket, what size? I have a number of the green plastic hanging baskets from impatients, begonias etc fromt the porch and wondered if they would be large enough.
    Space just becomes such an issue here in MN for the winters.
    Thanks, Will

• eristal
    13 years ago

Our hanging basket is about 16 inches diameter with 3 plants in it. You could easily grow a single plant in a much smaller planter. P. 'Manta' seems to be able to grow and bloom very well even with root restrictions at a very small size.

Good luck!
    Eric

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    Is this a variety that can be grown from seed? I have to say, you now may have got me hooked on passion flowers! Thanks to you, I am now considering buying a few tropical varieties for there flowers. I still am hoping to get one or two for there fruits.
    Andrew

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have no idea. I received mine as a rooted cutting.

• eristal
    13 years ago

Sorry Andrew, this one can not be grown from seed. Later in the year, Crystal and I may be able to send you a small rooted cutting. Email me personally, and we can discuss it.

gardeninggod@yahoo.com
    or
    eric@bloomingpassion.com

• jblaschke
    13 years ago

"Manta" is a hybrid cross between the ultra-rare and finicky p. xiikzodz and the much more common (and easy to grow) p. coreacea. There's another, similar hybrid, "Balam", which is the same cross going in the opposite direction. I've got a thing for decalobas, so if anyone's willing to trade these hybrids for anything I have, I'm game.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The decalobas seem to do better, grow and bloom, for me then any of the others, tasconia, passiflora. I like them, especially the foliage, but the blooms aren't nearly as striking.

• harpy2
    11 years ago

Brushwood Nursery has these.

Sponsored