Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are my chances for overwintering this beauty?

Posted by outinthegardenallday Zone 7, LI,NY (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 10:33

Good day all. I'm going to try to insert a picture of my very first passiflora. I think she is a passiflora caerulea however she produced no fruit. This is a first year plant for me at least. I have her on the west side of my house, planted directly next to our chimney,right next to our Summer vegetable garden - hence she will get very good sun all winter long.

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/OITGAD/Flowers2005/KIF_3397.jpg[/IMG]

My plan is to leave her right where she is all winter. I read one of the suggestions posted here (actually it was the site from the gentleman in England I believe) regarding protecting the roots with some styrofoam to keep the water out and then mulching her with some leaves. My questions:

Do you think I have a snowball's chance in h**l of overwintering here? And..for those of you who feel I should give it the good ole college try...should I prune her back to the ground now or wait until April or May?

Many thanks for your responses.

Ciao,
OITGAD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are my chances for overwintering this beauty?

Sorry about that...it's been a while since I posted a picture...let me see if this works. If not...I'll go back to square one realizing that the memory cells need a bit of refreshing.

Ciao,
OITGAD

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora Caerulea?

o

I don't know about overwintering your passie up where you are, but I'm almost positive its a p. caerulea, just as you thought.
Hopefully, somebody else can answer your other question.
Sherry

o

That's definitely caerulea.

You might have luck overwintering her... West side near the chimney you say? Hopefully there's an actual fire in that chimney most of the winter rather than "Oh it's got a fireplace" as that will keep the ground from freezing completely solid & you might have a chance.

I spent several years up by Watertown & brought everything in... As that experience brought a whole new meaning to the term "arctic".

If the top hasn't died already I would take a few cuttings & try to root them- Keep those guys inside & if the big one dies then at least you still have something.

o

I agree with krstofer. It may make it in the location you have, but always take cuttings to be on the safe side.

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 07 at 11:24

Great pic!! I don't think you should have any problem with it... some heavy mulch and positive drainage.. BUT I always take cuttings even if it has come back for yrs.. The are very easy to root and if yours makes it will ahve some to share or plant somewhere else in your yard...
Chena

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here