Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Ninecrow's not the only one...

jblaschke
16 years ago

Lookie! My flavicarpa's bloomed. Yay! This is the first bloom I've ever gotten from any type of edulis.

Unfortunately, my foetida var gossypiifolia is the only other passi I have blooming, and they're not compatible. Rats. I've tried pollenating with some stored p. gibertii pollen I had, but it's old so I'm not holding my breath. Ah well, the important thing is, it's blooming!

Comments (16)

• rialira
    16 years ago

gorgeous!

I bought a little edulis from Logee's. how big do they have to be to start blooming, or what other factors come into play?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Very pretty. I should check and see if my buds are still holding on. I moved a couple inside but I still have one in the garden.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rialira, that's not a simple answer. I got the flavicarpa last summer and planted it in the ground. After a slow start, it grew like crazy but set no buds. With winter setting in I took some cuttings (good thing too, since it died in the first frost). This was the only cutting to make it. So, technically I've been working on it for almost two years, but this cutting is a year old.

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Which edulis did you get from Logee's? I have 'McCain' and it started to bloom even when very small, only 10-12 inches tall. It is now much larger, but did not bloom all summer this year. It is now blooming quite a bit indoors. The flowers look just like pure flavicarpa, but it is definitely self-fertile. The fruits are very large and develop some slight purplish areas, with bright orange arils.

I have found it somewhat difficult to root.

• rialira
    16 years ago

That cutting has quite a story to tell, doesn't it! :)

I have what Logee's called "purple possum" at the time of purchase, but is now called "possum purple." *shrug* It looks slightly pale and hasn't grown at ALL in two months :\

On the subject of cuttings, I canNOT get my Incense to root. I tried plain water: nothing. Rooting hormone, soil and plastic bag: nothing. It's interesting to me that the cuttings don't wilt at all and even put out new growth, but no roots. Any thoughts?

Ria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Are you using bottom heat? I had significantly better results once I put the cuttings on a seed mat.
    Karyn

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Incense and probably any incarnata are best propagated by root cuttings. Just plant pieces of root 4+ inches long, and they will quickly begin to send up shoots. The suckers they send out can also be dug up and transplanted. I have found them somewhat difficult to root from cuttings.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been able to root Incense in a peat/pearlite mixture, but really only did that to see if I could. It's far, far easier to go with root cuttings on this plant. It'll send out suckers throughout your yard if you have it planted out--dig them up and you're all set.

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that the blooms (a second opened yesterday--I've got one bud left) sport the distinctive scent of licorice. Personally, I think licorice is one of the nastiest types of "candy" anyone could put in their mouth, but the scent's not all that bad. Just a little unusual coming from a flower.

• rialira
    16 years ago

The Incense is in a giant pot, and I haven't noticed a single sucker from the thing in the two years I've had it. how thick around should the root cuttings be? I'm a little wary of digging around in there, but I can't wait to try.

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Anything pencil diameter and up should work.

• rialira
    16 years ago

eep... I'm wary of digging around in there. I don't even know if it HAS pencil-thick roots, I've only seen the outside of the rootball when I upped to another pot and those were tiny spindly little things (it was fairly pot-bound).

you sure I'm not going to murder the poor thing?

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

My Incense in the ground sends out lots of roots bigger than that, but I have never grown one in a pot, so I don't really know what to expect. I could dig up plenty of mine for you if you don't want to risk harming your's. Just let me know.

• ninecrow
    16 years ago

Very Nice jblaschke
    Did you Pollinate with anything, if so did it take? Mine didn't like the old pollen I had....
    I've still got 3 buds to open on mine... But at the moment they are just sitting there... *Sigh*

***Side Note***
    Hotmail's gone down again

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I tried pollinating with a little gibertii pollen I had, but it didn't take. Sadly, I had nothing else available--my Lady Margaret's the only other passi blooming right now. I'm trying to use the flavicarpa pollen on the LM, but so far that doesn't seem like a viable match.

• chena
    16 years ago

NICE!!! Sorry I missed this till now!!! Congrats!!!
    Chena

Sponsored