Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Incense fruit

karyn1
16 years ago

I thought that P. incense didn't produce fruit but I found one when I was cleaning up/cutting back my vines. Unfortunately it wasn't yet ripe but did have a number of immature seeds. I wish I'd been more careful when I was chopping back the vines but I wasn't expecting to find any fruit on that one. None of the other incense vines produced any fruit.

Karyn

Comments (5)

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Karyn, it seems that Incense plants have to reach a certain maturity before they'll produce fruit. My vines made about half a dozen fruit this year, most of which were hollow. Several did have a few mature seeds, however, and I'm trying to get them to sprout.

I know for a fact that incarnata and caerulea pollen will cause Incense to set fruit. Not sure about other species, though. I'd expect cincinnata to as well, but that's just a guess.

• rialira
    16 years ago

my incense set a single fruit the first year I had it, though it flowered profusely. the following summer, it opened but a single bloom.

I miss it :(

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

My Incense, which is in its 3rd year now, produced about 50 fruits this year. I have 100+ mature seeds so far, and will likely get a few more, although many of the remaining fruits will not mature before a hard freeze kills it back. Based on the few seedlings from it last year, I expect some interesting seedlings next year. These are all likely from pollination with incarnata.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I planted two 'Incense' vines in the spring and got one small, fuzzy fruit the first year. A critter tore the fruit off the vine recently, but I found about 7 black seeds that looked mature in it and planted them. One has come up already. P. incarnata grows close by, and bees are always going back and forth from the vines, so I'm sure that was the pollinator. This thread reminds me - I think I'll go dig up the seedling while it's still real small and pot it up, so I can baby it.
    Sherry

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not sure why I thought that incense did often produce fruit? I just wish that I wouldn't have cut back the vine but it probably wouln't have ripened before it was hit with a hard freeze anyway. Can someone tell me if Sunburst produces fruit with seeds? I have lots of small grape sized fruit on it but so far the ones I've picked have been empty. If there's no chance of getting a fruit with seeds I want to cut it back because it's taking up too much space.
    Thanks,
    Karyn

Sponsored