Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chena......Rooting Questions

Posted by remuda1 7b Hood Co TX (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 07 at 13:29

Okay, I read about your rooting method with the wet foam and promptly went out and bought some :). I know that you said not to cover the shallow container, but what is a ball park figure on the temps your cuttings should stay at? I took about 10 cuttings of my alato caerulea and since you'd said that you had success with other woody things, I also took a few cuttings of the coral honeysuckle and a few from the blue potato bush.....just to see :). I have them on a northeast facing window sill and with the change in the weather, I'm concerned that they may not be warm enough. The other thing I wanted to ask is approximately how long is it until I see roots?

I noticed that on the package of wet foam it said that it contains *floral extenders*. I couldn't help but wonder if this doesn't contribute to the success of using this method. I figure the floral extenders aid in the continued uptake of water and nutrients to the cut flowers and probably acts in the same manner with the cuttings. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)
Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chena......Rooting Questions

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 8:29

Hey Kristi.. Sorry I didn't see this before now... I posted the directions I found for this method over at GGC..I'll look here and see if can't find them for you..
Chena

o
RE: Rooting Questions

Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 8:52

Here ya go!

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:13

I've had the most success in rooting passies using florists' foam ('wet' foam) as my rooting medium. Soak the foam for 10-15 minutes, then cut it into small cubes no more than an inch on a side and place them in a shallow tray with enough water to come half-way up the sides. Cut your passie cuttings into two-node cuttinggs, snipping about a quarter-inch below the bottom node. (Note---it's EXTREMELY important to be certain the 'bottom' node is actually the rootward end, and it's EASY to get confused with passies---always work from the tip down, just to be certain.) Carefully remove the bottom set of leaves, and I usually rreduce the size of the leaves on the top node, too. Dip the bottom end in just a touch of rooting powder, and insert them into the foam until the bottom node is just barely below the surface. Place the tray in bright but indirect light, and keep the foam moist at all tiimes. Once you see the roots coming through the foam, they're ready to pot up. As the roots grow, they'll break down the foam by themselves.

o

Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 12:04

Here is a Passi I rooted with Floral Foam..

o

I haven't ever had success with floral foam. but I am finding cheap kitty litter to be a surprising help. I have some passies I think I will try again, thanks for the tips. L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here