Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free Seeds: Passiflora 'Royale' x quadrangularis

Posted by rodrifc (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 16:01

Hello everyone,

I just harvested five fruit from my Passiflora 'Royale' vine, and have prepared them for sowing. All the fruit were hand-pollinated with P. quadrangularis pollen, a close relative, which should make for very viable seeds. I'm going to plant a few, but I obviously can't grow them all. So if you are interested in a pack, just send me a message so that you can send me a self-addressed envelope.

photo DSC00082_zps3dcbdc3c.jpg

I think the hybrids these seeds will produce are better for ornamental purposes, but you might be able to get some fruit off of them. Passiflora 'Royale' fruit isn't that great - it's more or less edible, but I think it has a barely noticeable strange smell. The fruit from the P. quadrangularis used as the male parent is excellent, however. I would say it's one of the best passion fruit I've tasted. It has a very good taste, and it isn't as acidic as P. edulis flavicarpa. Even the thick outer pith was very sweet and edible (in Cuba, my aunt would make a delicious dessert by blending the ENTIRE fruit - pulp and pith - and then straining the seed fragments). So this hybrid should have intermediate qualities, but you would need at least two seedlings so they can pollinate each other, or other compatible passion vines.

Passiflora quadrangularis:

Passiflora quadrangularis photo DSC00077_zpsd116dfbb.jpg

Passiflora quadrangularis photo DSC00079_zps885901a1.jpg

photo DSC00153_zps9c189fe0.jpg

photo DSC00155_zpsa7bd0455.jpg

Passiflora quadrangularis photo DSC00073_zpsffda0d99.jpg

Passiflora 'Royale' - P. macrocarpa x (x decaisneana)

photo DSC09925_zps9e9a03f9.jpg

photo DSC09897_zps3ba919be.jpg

photo DSC00055_zps4e57c752.jpg

Passiflora 'Royale' flower and fruit photo DSC00096_zps66aa1e42.jpg

Passiflora 'Royale' fruit photo DSC00111_zpsebd32515.jpg

Passiflora 'Royale' fruit photo DSC00115_zpsb5796c71.jpg

Passiflora 'Royale' fruit photo DSC00116_zpsd5d59996.jpg

Passiflora 'Royale' fruit photo DSC00126_zpsfa689bf5.jpg

Passiflora 'Royale' fruit photo DSC00122_zps4d3d9c9b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free Seeds: Passiflora 'Royale' x quadrangularis

i would love to have some of these passiflora seeds if you have any left, i will send you sase

o

Would like to try these; LMK where to send SASE.

o

I know how late to this party I am, but if you have any left rodrific, I'd be up to growing out some of your lovely passions. May I ask what zone you live in? Your plants are beautiful. I can see you spend a lot of time with your collection, it really shows.

o

PS: And your aunt's recipe would be nice if you could share. I have unripe quadrangularis cross on vine right now. Something new is tempting :)

o

Just discovered this vine and I love it! I was given one as a gift and it has been flowering since Christmas. If you still have seeds available I am interested. Your vine is stunning and all your hard work and care shows. Thanks for your time.

o

That is a very beautiful flower, let me know if I can still get seeds? Do you know if its a host plant for butterflies? I had a Lady Margaret passion vine, it just died this past year. I had lots of cats on it, and it was very beautiful too.

o

I am not sure if you still have some seeds. Can send a SASE. I am a new collector in Central Florida. I am growing Passiflora Lunametista, Elizabeth, Coral Glow, Coral Seas, and P. loefgrennii.

o

Morninggloree,
I have this plant and will tell you, that because the flower is closed slightly, I have not seen many butterflies on it. Ants seem to pollinate it. However, if you are into Butterfly gardening and passionflowers, this link does offer passion flowers for Butterfly Gardeners:
http://www.trumpetflowers.com/sales/sales-other-plants-seeds.htm#passiflora

If you continue to scroll down, they also sell seeds that are fresh, a necessity with Passion flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Flower plants and seeds

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 12:53

o

Thanks for the great link.

o

I would love to have the recipe, my mother used to talk about this too. but she never acquired it, before leaving Cuba. Also, do you know if you would get fruit from crossing the P. quadrangularis together, or is that not possible? I'm new to the passion flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here