Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jost4318

tacsonia seeds

jost4318
10 years ago

does anyone know where I can get my hands on some tacsonia seeds? (antioquiensis, mixta, manicata,exoniensis, etc) any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)

• mark4321_gw
    10 years ago

I don't know of anyone who grows Tacsonias successfully outside in Florida. It's a question I've asked many times. I do know many people who have tried and failed.

The problem is that they are from the Andes, typically from climates with record high temperatures about the same as Florida's average summer LOW temperatures.

I do know a couple people at the University of Florida who are attempting to improve heat tolerance by grafting Tacsonias on heat-tolerant rootstocks, such as Passiflora caerulea.

In the part of the San Francisco Bay Area I've lived in recently, Tacsonias often struggle with our heat. Our average summer temperatures are 80/55. I've seen a Tacsonia growing in a public area once, Coral Seas (or Coral Glow) in Palo Alto. Along the coast, or in San Francisco, where summer days are 10-15 degrees cooler, Tacsonias are common. The Passiflora Society (PSI) president Eric Wortman lives farther inland, where summer days are yet 10-15 degrees hotter than ours, still with much cooler nights than Florida. He's tried many, many Tacsonias and all have failed.

I've heard preliminary reports from Retiredflorida, who posts here sometimes, that a hybrid being sold by Annie's Annuals as 'Oaklandia' tolerates his temperatures. As far as I know he has not seen flowers yet, and it will be interesting to see how it does long term. I've also heard that P. trisecta can tolerate more heat than most.

Occasionally one hears reports of P. manicata growing and blooming in Florida. Those are misidentified P. vitifolia (or a close relative).

The best place to find Tacsonia seeds is from the PSI seedbank sales. I don't know if they've scheduled an upcoming sale yet. One does not need to be a paying member to buy from the seedbank.

Here is a link that might be useful: PSI Seedbank

• jost4318
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I looked into the heat issue a lot and took thermal readings in different places in my back yard. I've found a few places that get lots of morning sun but still remain under 85F on a hot afternoon (100F high) due to afternoon shade. I will probably try and grow the plants there and hope for late fall/early spring blooms

• jost4318
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I looked into the heat issue a lot and took thermal readings in different places in my back yard. I've found a few places that get lots of morning sun but still remain under 85F on a hot afternoon (the high that day was 100F) due to afternoon shade. I will probably try and grow the plants there and hope for late fall/early spring blooms

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner