Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kewensis

Posted by Krstofer Zone 8 (ish) (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 21:20

My little kewensis bloomed today- It only has 7 leaves.. But it's flowering anyway.

I crossed it with sunburst- Hopefully in a few months I'll have some strange new seeds..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kewensis

Sorry Krstofer, that is not a Kewensis but a Coriacea or bat leaved passionflower. The Kewensis is a shocking pink in colour with white corona filaments. Surprise, surprise!!

o

Well Look at that...
That's why we don't identify these things by the leaves. (Which I don't think was done with this one in the first place..)

Just goes to show we often don't know what we truly have untill it blooms.

That flower opened yesterday morning about 9. I polinated it abiout 4.30 & used it to polinate 3 sunbursts. By 6 it had closed all the way. I don't know if that's it's natural cycle or if it closed because the pollen took or what.

So this is where I wish I had the "rip-van-winkle" switch so I could sleep or something for the 2 years it will take to see what the kids look like.. If I get any.

Thanks for the correction- I would have caught it eventually, but prolly not for a while.

o

Hi K
It is Passiflora 'Balam' (P. coriacea x P. xiikzodz). Extremely hard-to-find and sought after hybrid by John MacDougal. Beautiful. Check it out in the GK Exotics list below. Be fun if it crosses with P. 'Sunburst'. Try the cross each way....

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora 'Balam'

o

Well I'll be Jiggered..
That's it Exactly!
No idea how the heck I got ahold of this one...

Yup, I tried the cross each way- too early to see if anything's developing though.

And thanks for the ID...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here