Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

Is P. 'Incense' Invasive?

Mikey
18 years ago

I planted what I was told was P. 'Incense' last year. It's growing very vigorously.....too vigorously. I now have numerous vines popping up as far as 10' away. Should I have put a root barrier around it? I have quite sandy soil which invasive plants love...... - Mike

Comments (8)

• eloise_ca
    18 years ago

It is! Mine started in the backyard and travelled to the front yard. I am always mowing down runners. Right now, mine has fruit on it, but I will soon cut it down as it has gone up a pine tree and onto some cable lines. I still love it as do the butterflies, bees and gold and black bumblebees! The flowers are beautiful and the scent is just wonderful. I don't know how one can put barriers around it as it will travel in different directions. Perhaps it can be kept in a pot.

• Mikey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was amazed at the dozens of fritillary butterflies it attracted and I too enjoy the fragrance of the flowers. Mine did not produce fruit though. I guess it needs another passiflora nearby. I have a root barrier; actually designed for bamboo, that I could use but I would have to dig up the plant to install it and since it has already spread, that may be like closing the barn door after the cows all escaped......

• pitangadiego
    18 years ago

Very invasive, lots of butterflies and no fruit.

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

I have had no fruit- Mine grew up the wall & out over a ... (what do you call it?) 'open lattice roof-like covering over the patio' to the point where the above mentioned "thingy" is almost totally covered with vine. I don't get to see the flowers as they're all up there, but through the summer I smell the scent wafting into the house.. And get to sweep up hunderds of dead flowers.
    The suckers are starting to pop up 15 to 20 feet away- I just dig them trying to get enough root that I can stick the lil guys in a pot & give 'em away.

• sean
    18 years ago

Hi Mikey,

Dig it up now as it comes back from the roots. I would even advise sifting the soil to remove all the fine roots you can find if you have a chance. I received root cuttings a few years ago that were the size of my finger in girth and now it has filled one of my planters.

I will be in LA house sitting for MikeW for a couple weeks and may run into a day of boredom being by myself. If you need a hand let me know.

Cheers,
    Sean
    Now I know I can make room for just one more waterlily, or two, or three.

• passionflow
    18 years ago

Hi Mikey
    Sean's idea of digging up sounds ok but I am afraid it is not just a question of spread re surface area, but also depth. P. incarnata, P 'Incense' and similar Passiflora can send their roots down 3 feet......I never use weedkillers but something that will kill the roots of the plant it is applied to like one of the Roundup products would do it. Either that or just enjoy it!
    What we have to remember is that many Passiflora grow in the wild in a very competitive environment, give them an easier environment and they can be a big problem. In New Zealand even P. caerulea is banned and a number of Tacsonia are causing them big problems. The link below shows what a little pot plant like P. suberosa can do in the wild.
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Passiflora

• Mikey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm toying with leaving it alone for a while and seeing if we can just get along..... The soil is sandy, so I will continue to just pull the suckers for now.

Hey Sean. You are welcome to come over and visit....and I won't even put you to work. Let me know if you get bored and we can visit the local botanical gardens in the area if you like. (L.A. Arboretum, Huntington, Descanso, Quail) Would like to take you if you haven't visited these.

• sean
    18 years ago

Hi Mikey,

Might be an idea, I will be there for a couple weeks looking after his four legged family members while MikeW is in South Africa for Christmas. I do have a few projects to keep me busy at his home but would like to venture out once or twice.

I will contact you when I get to LA after the 14th.

Cheers,
    Sean