Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

Anyone know what this is?

Krstofer
19 years ago

Once again I've lost the tag & forgot this one's name.

Anyone have an idea?

{{gwi:1135376}}
{{gwi:1135377}}

Thanks-

Comments (10)

• JRC16
    19 years ago

Its Passiflora Amethyst (Lavender Lady), i have it i my garden its only hardy to about -5 and it best covered with some frost fleece or bubble wrap in winter, a vigerous grower with lovley pink/purple fowers in colder weather towards autum the flowers may be white.

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Cool- I think I have 3 or 4 of them around outside so all I need (i hope) is to get 2 to bloom at the same time and maybe get seeds.

I think I've been planting everyone in dirt that's 'too good' as mostly they put on leaves and don't flower much. When it warms up (springtime) I might repot some of them into poorer soil & keep them off the ground so they can't dig and see what happens. I had thought good dirt = happy plant = more flowers, but I'm beginning to suspect that with passi's that's not the case.
    So in the spring it's experiment time.

• JRC16
    19 years ago

that shoud help it to flower, i dont know if yu have it in ameica but if you do put your Passiflora into John Innes number 1 it has a lower nutrient level , bu it will keep the plant healthy. Also feed it with a reduced nitrogen flower feed and it sould be covered in flower.

• passionflow
    19 years ago

Hi Krstofer
    P. 'Amethyst' (it should not be called Lavender Lady to avoid confusion- see link) will not set seed with its own pollen-which there tends to be very little of, but it will produce fruit easily with caerulea or the white caerulea Constance Eliott. These crosses have been done many times before but they are are good fun to do, with very variable offspring. Re flowering Amethyst should be very free flowering but some other species and hybrids will only produce a flower or two a day even if happy. Grow them in the ground if possible. Most should be fine in California if protected well for their first winter.

Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: P. Amethyst info

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info- It appears I have to attempt some crosses to figure out exactly which I have.

Unfortunately, none of my caeruleas are blooming right now.

Does anyone have any expierence with saving pollen? Is it possible to freeze it, or dry it or something? Otherwise I have to hope I have 2 different plants blooming at the same time, and we all know how hit or miss that can be.

• passionflow
    19 years ago

See link below for pages of hybridizing info including pollen drying. No one knows much about it so keep notes if you have any success.
    Re plant ID, losing plant tags is a problem for most of us. My best advice is stick plastic tags in the pot rather than on the plant and mark them with permanent marker or better still pencil and then re mark them each spring.
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora hybridizing.

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I got a bunch of those 'tree tags'.. You know, the ones that go around the trunk? Yeah.

My biggest problem tho is "I'll remember what this is"..... As I don't bother to find the tags & put one on the new plant..
    Then I get 3 or 4 or 5 who all have close to the same leaves or my pigmy sumatran wolverines get up on the seedling table & "help" me repot everything. Then even if I had a tag or a marked pot...

Anyway, I'm going to try saving pollen the next time I get some. I'll try different ways & keep records- We'll see what happens.

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

Whoa, wait, Myles; as in Myles Irvine?

• passionflow
    19 years ago

Yes!

• andrewgwatson
    10 years ago

I found a low growing passion fruit vine in Baja, fruit were orange-red, oval, about 1.5" long, smooth, with magenta pulp, sweetish but not tasty, large seed, leaves were tri-foliate, with 3-lobed leaflets, feel rough like fine sand-paper, plants from the seed are now 4 months old, have a thick base of main stem, and a swolled tap root, leaves broad spade shaped with no lobe development yet. I can send pictures if you want to see this plant. Does anyone know the species?

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company