Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

Cloning box... Online.

Krstofer
16 years ago

So I fired up this year's cloning box.

{{gwi:1135412}}

A fairly simple & cheap deal...The box was $10 at the thrift store, 5 gallon plastic water bottle free from the Alhambra guy for the asking.. $3 for a cap for said bottle at the local brewing store.. Some fish tube.. Couple spiral fluorescents & about 2.5 feet of 24" aluminum flashing from the hardware store. An evening of drilling & wiring & I had the box.

For media / pots I used plastic test tubes- The Chem department at school has piles & piles of them. I asked, got a box of plastic ones. Free. Had to make the holder though.

Here's the lights:

{{gwi:1135413}}

{{gwi:1135414}}

The rack:

{{gwi:1135415}}

And the results after 2 weeks:

{{gwi:1135416}}

{{gwi:1135417}}

{{gwi:1135418}}

What's the "solution"?

One gallon of Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO or Hydric acid) plus about 50 ml of KLN liquid rooting hormone (making a .132 Molar solution) with about 3 tablespoons of Miracle Grow "Rose" food.

Suck up some, squirt it into the test tube & add the cuttings. Let it sit under the counter for about 2 weeks & check the solution levels. Add more as necessary.

Betcha in about 2 more weeks I'll be transplanting my cuttings. What are they? Morifolia, colinvauxii & rubra so far.

When I get time I'll prolly add some more.

Oh & for those of you cussing because someone outbid you on that varigated membranacea... That was ... Me. *If* I can keep it alive long enough (this time) I'll be making some cuttings when it gets big.

'Course I'll be offering all for trade... If / when they make it to tradable size.

Comments (14)

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Very good Krstofer. Two weeks to root is very impressive!

I wasn't bidding on ebay, but that is a beauty. Never seen it before, congrats!

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Congrats on snagging that varigated membranacea. I'd like one, but know better than to even try. It gets way too hot here for those cool clime passis to survive.

That p. balam you landed a while back, however... if you've still got it, and have cuttings planned, I'm definitely interested!

• angie83
    16 years ago

Ok I made one I have had such bad luck this year with cuttings .I used my hydro basket and made a top made the 5 gal bottle of sugar and yeast mix .I have the mix bottle going right into my plants with fishing tube does it look ok .

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ya, actually it does.

You might try to ram more light into there, if you can- that's a ... 20 watt bulb? If you had 4 23 watt "twirly" bulbs above it instead they'd get alot more light.

Since they have no roots they need as much light as possible for the extra root making energy, at least in theory.

But yeah- that's a pretty good looking contraption you have there.

• angie83
    16 years ago

Thx sure hope it works your cutting look so nice .Another question its been about 2 hours and it doesnt seem to be bubbleing about how long does it take to make the gas.thx againgreat post.

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm.... I'd give it till the morning- You should see some activity in there by then, depending on how much sugar & yeast you tossed in.

• angie83
    16 years ago

Wow still no bubbles its foamy inside bottle but not make bubbles in little water bottle.Should it take so long I used half a bag of sugar and 2table spoons of yeast .

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm.... Can you see bubbles coming up in the big bottle, like beer?

Check the air lines- can't be any kinks, and... Hmmm.

1/2 a bag like 2.5 pounds, ish?

• angie83
    16 years ago

Its foamy on top of water in big jug and cloudy .Do I need a bubbler ?Yep 2.5 of sugar but its a big jug.

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok here's a test. Kink the hose coming out of the big bottle & twist-tie it kinked for like 10 minutes. When you let it loose, put the open end in a cup of water. If you get bubbles... then you're in good shape.

• ninecrow
    16 years ago

krstofer, I'm going to have a go at this with my spare Lighted Fish tank... Think the only thing I'm going to have to buy is some Yeast... I have tubeing and sugar...

Thank You for posting about this again
    NC

• angie83
    16 years ago

I think its working leafs are looking really good they useally turn yellow and drop by now I think I used to much sugar I was reading that champane yeast last longer but not sure where to get it.Here some other sites.I did also get more light and tinfolded the inside were the plants are to reflect better.
    http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/diyco2/diyco2_1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: tank

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Grab your phone book and look for a homebrewing suppily shop near you.

• angie83
    16 years ago

My clone box is a no go . It seems that because the roots in mine were above the water they were getting co2 and it has caused them to die the only way this will work is if roots are in water where they dont get the co2 not above like the drip way Im ganna try them krstofers way in tubes of water I sure hope it works for me.

Sponsored