Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growthsprout

passiflora

growthsprout
15 years ago

I am very interested in learning to grow passiflora. Are there any that will grow in my harsh midwest climate? I would also be willing to try growing them as annuals if I could find some fast growing types. How about growing them indoors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

I don't live in a cold place, don't grow much inside and have never grown most of the following plants. That said, here are some thoughts--I'm sure others can follow up.

I've seen Passiflora lutea described as hardy to zone 5. I would expect that means in the ground, with some sort of protection.

P. incarnata is both hardy and decidous. I imagine you could let frost kill the top and then bring it inside to overwinter.

There are many you can grow as plants inside in the winter, outside in the summer--this may be your best bet. I hope others can describe their own experiences.

You may be able to grow P. foetida as an annual. I know Karen1 has posted on its quick growth and fruiting within a year. I assume you would have to start it really early inside.

I imagine there are many that you could grow outside and then then continue every year by taking cuttings in the fall and starting over in the spring. This might save space over bringing in whole plants. Again, others may have specific ideas.

Yes, you can grow them inside all year with enough light. 'Lavender Lady' is just one possiblity. No doubt a number of people who read these posts could offer cuttings. My plants are too small for this, but I can likely get cuttings from a friend. If nobody offers you anything, send me an email.

A friend in Chicago sent me a beautiful picture of a 'Blue Eyed Susan' flower she grew at her office. I know people have had success with many other species/hybrids. My friend has also bloomed P. citrina in the same window at work.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Hi Growthspurt. I'm not sure what zone you are in but I have a few that are hardy and growing outside as well as several tropical varieties that are container grown. P. incarnata, incense and caerulea are all inground year round and do fine here in zone 7a. I don't even bother mulching them. The incense really spreads like crazy. Of the varieties that I've grown from seed foetida is the only one that has reached blooming size in less then a year. I don't think that passies would do well as annuals because the majority take a while to reach blooming size. Most are fairly easy to winter over inside under lights and I have some that are marginally hardy that I allow to go dormant in a cool room.

Sponsored