Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turbo_tpl

Passion vine seeds

turbo_tpl
18 years ago

Howdy, all. I'm more of a tree nut, but recently found some seed pods to what I am relatively sure is a passion vine (shrived egg like things). After reading up on the maypop, I'm quite interested in planting some vines around my six acres (in south-central VA, which I'm rehabbing for wildlife habitat), particularly for the interesting vine and to provide food plants for the Gulf Fritillary butterfly. I do have some questions for you Passiflora experts out there:

• How do I determine whether or not this is the native passion vine, and not an invasive exotic species? I really have a problem with exotic invasives being released into the wild

• Do passion vines require "two to tango", or do they self-fertilize? There is only one vine here that I can see, and am not familiar with how and how good they are at fertilization. Can I do the "sink test" on the seeds to check for viability?

• How invasive are these vines? If a native species, it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd like to know so I can plant it in a somewhat more remote location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County