Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
passifloras under lights

Posted by mpetrizzle wisconsin zone 5 (mtpetri@uwm.edu) on
Wed, Dec 16, 09 at 14:11

How do passifloras fair under artificial lighting? when growing indoors, is it possible to induce flowering with lights? if anyone has had any luck in growing pf's with artificial lights please let me know your setup, species, and wattage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: passifloras under lights

It can be done but they become very prone to pests.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora lighting

o
RE: passifloras under lights

You need a quality grow light. I used a couple 1000 watt HID MH/HPS lights for the passies I kept inside over the winter. You can likely use a lower wattage set up. I have a fairly large space but for a few plants you can use a 250 watt light. They bloom but not as well as in natural light and the colors of many varieties aren't as vibrant.

Like the previous poster stated infestations of sucking insects, especially spider mites, mealy bugs, scale and aphids can be a problem. You really need to keep the humidity up to discourage them.

I have several varieties inside, alata, Coral Seas, murucuja, Purple Tiger, laurifolia, etc... I keep most in the heated greenhouse due to the insect problems and I really just don't like having plants in the house. I've started keeping hardy varieties in an unheated greenhouse because I've had problems with them returning in the spring after an especially brutal winter.

Here's a few under lights last year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

p careula

Photobucket

This will give you an idea of the intensity of the lights which are kept on for 14-16 hours a day

Photobucket

I no longer keep so many plants inside. I still have the grow room but I try to keep most in the greenhouse or dormant if possible. For the ones that won't fit I now use the garage. I keep one HID light and a heater in there. It's not as warm but the plants seem alright. The only passies that are inside are the ones that seem really cold sensitive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here