Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantorvillain

passi in hanging basket? & wintercare

mantorvillain
13 years ago

Background: I got a passiflora cutting in a trade, got it rooted and its in a 3 gal ceramic pot with small trellis...did pretty well and am interested in adding a couple more.

Queston 1: Would one of the green hanging baskets be large enough for a passi? I have quite a few from past visits to g'houses and really don't have window space or want to do the small trellis thing.

Question 2: I've brought my one passi in to a southerly kitchen window the past couple of years but it kinda takes over. will they go dormant if cut back and placed in cooler temps?. I grow brugmansia the carry them over in dormancy without much problem. It would be nice if I could do the same with passis or use the hanging basket in the window for economy of space.

Thanks for your feedback,

Will

Comments (6)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I've never grown passies in a hanging basket but I don't see why you couldn't though they might have a tendency to grow up instead of hanging down. A 10" hanging basket should be plenty big enough for quite a while. Dormancy depends on the variety. The cold hardy varieties can go completely dormant. I have mainly tropical varieties. They can't take cold temps and don't go dormant but I do keep them cut back to save space.

• mantorvillain
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Karyn. I'd probably purchase a couple of the tropical varieties. Maybe I'll try it and just try cutting back when I bring them in to winter over in the window.
    This is sorta like another christmas for me....looking at the websites, ordering then having to wait for April for my new plant children to arrive (brugaddiction is bad enough, cant afford another -LOL)
    Will

• karyn1
    13 years ago

If you want to satisfy a passie fix take a look at Grassy Knoll. Elizabeth has the best online selection and reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grassy Knoll

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

I grow my P. belotti (my only passie) in a hanging basket and bought it that way at a local nursery last April. I took the hanger off when it started to get too big and let it grow up a trellis then I moved it to the back steps (which I think where I'll put it again). I just pruned mine back yesterday as it needed it (I read in old houseplant books that this is the month to prune them back if they need them). Good luck, Will!

Karyn, you enabler! lol I checked out Grassy Knoll and they do have a selection!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Brad do you keep your P. bellotti outside year round? I'm surprised because I have to winter it over in the greenhouse. I prune all my passies, except for the hardy varieties, when I move them for winter protection. Many I have to continually prune thru the winter. I'd love to have unlimited space but DH decided not to heat the big GH this winter, oh well.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Karyn, no I keep it as a houseplant. I have to prune it too. It needed a haircut and it's only the second time I've cut it back (once before when I broght it in). Can you root prune them? A houseplant book I have says you can. Mine is very rootbound and is a water guzzler.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored