Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passionlove

Passiflora / Passion fruit Recipes???

passionlove
14 years ago

Hello all,

I am just curious what recipes anyone has tried who actually uses their passion fruit as food. This year I got quite a bit of fruit from my Edulis Flavicarpa. I figured I better put it some good use and make something yummy for Christmas.

I am attaching a link of some recipes I found. I am leaning more for a passion fruit dessert. I'm thinking about possibly cookies or muffins, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passionfruit Dessert

Comments (5)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I've never made anything myself but most of what I've had made with passion fruit is juice based like sorbet, cocktails and ice cream.

• eristal
    14 years ago

Hey you two! Long time since we've posted together...

Drinks, drinks, drinks. Yep, that's about it for us. It's a great addition to caipirinhas or mojitos or margaritas. YUMMM!! Other than that, we like to eat the best ones fresh. Grab a couple of seeds with arils right out of the fruit with your mouth and work the seeds out with your tongue and teeth. I would only suggest this with the most flavorful ones. Many will be too pungent to do this with and actually enjoy.

Anyway, that's my $0.02!

Eric

• passionlove
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the response! Yeah it's been a while. Say hi to Crystal:)

I usually do just eat the pulp or make drinks, but I wanted to make something special for Christmas for the guests. I'll be going out of town to visit relatives so I figured I could make dessert for everyone. I'm leaning towards the cupcakes or cookies with passion fruit frosting.

Trying to get a little more creative than the usual I guess. The Edulis Flavicarpa is tasting great so hopefully I can do something special with it.

If I discover something special I'll post it here.

• eristal
    14 years ago

I know that Patrick Worley made a Passion fruit cookbook many years ago, but finding it may be difficult. A quick search online found a site that sells it that no longer exists. If I can find it, I'll let you know.

• passion4passies
    14 years ago

Passion fruit Gelatin Dessert

Ingredients:
    6 passion fruit
    3 oz (75 grams) sugar
    1 pkg gelatin
    1 1/3 cup Gran Marnier
    whipped cream

1. Spoon the juices and seeds from the passion fruit
    into a fine sieve, reserving a few seeds for decoration.

2.Place the strained juice into a saucepan with the
    sugar and bring slowly to the boil.

3.In a small bowl, soak the gelatin in a quarter of the
    liquor and stir until dissolved.

4.Place the soaked gelatin in the hot passion fruit
    juice and stir to dissolve - stir in the remaining liquor.

5.Pour the gelatin mixture into 4 ramekins or small jello molds and place in the fridge - chill for 2 hours, until set.

6.Dip the molds into hot water for 2-3 seconds, and
    turn out onto a plate.

7.Pour the cream over the jelly, top with the reserved
    seeds and serve right away.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area