Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

White Flowering Passiflora

MissSherry
16 years ago

I've been on a trip to Florida - North Tampa - to see my daughter, and while I was there, we went to some nurseries out from Sarasota. One of the nurseries had some white flowering passionvine growing and didn't know what it was. She gave me a lot of free cuttings, which I've potted up, but the thin end pieces of the vine looked too thin to try to root the normal way, so I've just kept them in water outside. One of the (many) flower buds opened this afternoon, I guess on account of the warm weather. This passi has held up so amazingly well in water, I'm wondering if the thin pieces are going to root in water. Anyway, it looks to me like p. subpeltata - the leaves have three rounded lobes, consistently all over the vine. I know that a nursery close to the one where I got the plant used to carry p. subpeltata - that's what I think this is, what do you think?

{{gwi:554161}}
Whatever it is, it's a good passi for caterpillars, because theirs had gulf frit cats of all sizes on it - I sure hope I get at least one rooted plant out of it!

Sherry

Comments (10)

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

The flower itself looks like my Constance Eliott, but the leaves are wrong. The leaves look like it could be an incarnata, but of course the corona is wrong for "alba." Subpeltata is probably a good guess.

Speaking of whites, I just got an email from Brushwood Nursery that they have incarnata "alba" available. If anyone's interested...

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got the same e-mail, but I already ordered and got 'alba' - 'alba' has the exact same leaves as regular p. incarnata, naturally, which are more pointed than the leaves on the one in the picture. Also, 'alba' has frilly tendrils like p. incarnata, which this one doesn't. When I first saw it, I thought 'Constance Eliot' but remembered that CE is p. caerulea, which has 5 lobed leaves, the lobes are skinny, and the leaves are dark green, which this one's isn't.
    I noticed that another bloom has opened this afternoon - I love this passi!
    The nursery I mentioned that used to carry p. subpeltata was Crowley's Nursery, which I also visited. I got a 'White Wedding' there, so now I've gone from having no white-flowering passis, to having quite a few.
    Sherry

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should have said "Also, 'alba' has frilly corona filaments" - not tendrils - the tendrils are the things that the vine uses to attach itself to a supporting structure of some kind. Duh - I have these senior moments!
    Sherry

• Krstofer
    16 years ago

I'm going to go with subpeltata as well. Here's a page with a bunch of flower & leaf pix.

Would be cool if it was a blank edulis.. But I don't think so.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I tried rooting some of the cuttings of this white flowering passi the regular way, just sticking them in potting soil and keeping them moist, but none of them took, just died back. I had a few cuttings left that were STILL green in water, so I stuck a few more, and put one of them in this "get up" I devised. I usually don't have any problems rooting things in summer, when I put the stuck cuttings in a shady spot in my garden and keep them moist - the heat of summer does the rest. But since I got these cuttings so late in the year, I didn't have the natural heat. My "get up" is just a canning pot with the rack on the bottom, where I put about an inch of water, to reach the bottom of the container with the plant in it. I turn the stove on periodically to keep the temperature reasonably high, and I keep the light over the stove on all the time anyway. This cutting has been "cooking" for about a month, and I noticed the other day that it was making a new shoot - it appears that it's taken! My husband has really kidded me about this odd looking thing on our stove!
    {{gwi:335535}}
    Sherry

• rich_in_cal
    16 years ago

Misssheri
    That is great that it rooted. I have one that looks like yours that I started from seed a few years ago. I now have fresh seed. I have planted some seed on January 3rd. They started germinating on the 27th. 24 days!! I have a soil cable under them that is about 58-60* I have lots of fresh seed if yours fails. Good luck.
    Rich

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Rich!
    Sherry

• rich_in_cal
    16 years ago

Misssherry

I took about 25 cuttings about a month ago. They are still green and look good in water, but not one of them have sent out a root. I have them on bottom heat about 58-60*.

The seed that I started are doing quite well. In one batch 9 of 10 germinated. In the other 6 of 10 germinated. They are going into their 4th leaf and about 2 1/2 inches . These are the ones that I started on 3 January.

Rich

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That set up is a riot. I usually root passies in water on a seed mat. I have better results that way then I do with soil or foam. Glad your cutting took.
    Karyn

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's continuing to make more new growth, so it's apparently taken good root, Karyn.
    That's great that so many of your seedlings have germinated, Rich! This white-flowering passi didn't root the entire time it was in water, either.
    Sherry

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks