Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion flower vine stem pests?

Posted by missmandylee 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 19:18

I have several passion vines along a fence and for the first time, I've seen many pod-type things growing on the stem about 6-12"above ground. They are easily removable and judging from the tiny hole on top, there may be a worm or something inside. They also look like extracted teeth :(. I hope whatever this is is not toxic to my 100' wide vine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion flower vine stem pests?

That's a type of scale. Are you by any chance in CA? I'm asking because I'd never seen that variety until I received an infested cutting from someone in CA. They are difficult to eradicate and can eventually kill your vines. Pick off what you can see. Unfortunately the adults aren't susceptible to most (if not all) topical insecticides because of their protective shell. The immature scale is mobile and susceptible to insecticides. It might be possible to smother the adults with a horticultural oil, not sure. They will also easily spread to nearby plants. My infestation was on container plants that weren't that big and I was able to remove them manually over the course of a couple months. Hopefully someone will be able to suggest a solution for the problem.

o
RE: Passion flower vine stem pests?

Thank you! I'll give it a shot. I see the scale only on one part of the vine so I think I can pick them off. I forgot to mention that when I smash them, there is a blood-like residue. Maybe it's that tiny red things mixed with some kind of fluid. Nevertheless, I'm going picking. By the way, I live in central Florida.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here