Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brazilian round yellow passionfruit from baker creek

Posted by tumblingtomatoes (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 24, 08 at 22:34

Hi, everyone, kinda new, wanna ask a question about a passionfruit.....does anyone have any opinions about the Brazilian yellow passionfruit (from seed) from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds (rareseeds.com)? Live in space coast Florida area, want something with edible fruits. Thanks very much! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brazilian round yellow passionfruit from baker creek

Hi. I'm guessing that the variety they are calling Brazilian Yellow might be P. edulis which has a very nice tasting sweet/tart fruit and a beautiful bloom. I'm not sure what's the lowest temps it can take. I have several but am in zone 7a so they are all container grown. It's a fast growing low maintenance vine and gets quite large.

o

Thanks very much for the info, I just emailed them and asked if it is the one you mentioned (P. Edulis)! I hope so! Have a great day! :)

o

P. edulis is generally the commercial purple fruited varieties. P. edulis var. flavicarpa is a yellow-fruited variety that's not quite a cold tolerant, needs a pollenator and is normally used for juice. P. ligularis (IIRC) is also a yellow-fruited passion flower that is sometimes grown commercially in South America, but is a bit less common than the other two.

o

I live in Vero Beach, Fl. My mother-in-law planted a passionfruit on my back fence 3 years ago. If we wait a few more years the vine will be in your yard! This thing is CRAZY! It has spread in about 100 ft in all directions. We all mow it down, but the sprouts pop up all over the place. I enjoy it however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here