Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblecha

Passiflora are sprouting!

joeblecha
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

Some of my Passiflora seeds are finally sprouting! I'm so excited, I was about to give up on them. I've got one P. edulis so far, and two P. quadranglaris. Still no luck for the alata and foetida, but I haven't given up hope!

The edulis is in a small plastic bottle with other seeds that have not sprouted yet, and the two quadranglaris are individual in peat pods.

Should I leave the edulis with the other seeds until they sprout and plant them all into a bigger container together without disturbing the roots? Or should I attempt to seperate the seedling from the others when it's a little bigger?

How soon should I plant them? I'm thinking about moving them individually into 2 liter soda bottle "greenhouses" until they get bigger. Any advice or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone on here tried to train Passiflora into bonsai?

I'm not going to be able to let them grow freely on a fence or anything, is there a good way to train them into a smaller area and still get flowers and fruit? I have vertical space, just not much horizontal/ground space... Bamboo? Narrow trellis and trim the heck out of them???

Sorry if there are already posts about this, I honestly didn't look very hard...

Thanks,

-Joe-

P.S. Sorry I'm all over the place, I'm just excited! :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus