Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinoisdoglover

wanted Itoh peony Pastel Splendor

illinoisdoglover
11 years ago

Does anyone have any Itoh peony Pastel Splendor or other varities to trade this year? Hoping to set up trades for 2013.

Comments (20)

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

It's not that hard to find it online if you want to buy it. Here's a pretty good link. I've never bought from them so I can't guarantee their quality, but in the spring, there are often a lot more eBayers selling itoh peonies.

I myself have taken around 40 divisions off my keiko itoh peony. I have around a dozen species, and will only get another one if it truly looks unique in comparison to what I already have.

Here is a link that might be useful: peony website

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steve: I know it is not hard to "find it on line". 99% of all my perennial I have purchased. The older I get the wiser I get. I just started trading plants thru the mail last year, love it. I have found it a lot of fun to "trade" plants with other gardeners across the states saving both of us money and chatting, sharing and making new garden friends. Nice way to "learn" about some plants we have not grown in our gardens and compare notes, discussing some of the gardening mistakes we have made. Generally speaking, we can trust those that we trade with and can rely on them to share pictures of what they are trading and comfirm that the plants are true to name. So many iris and peonies I have purchased from the stores or online have bloomed incorrectly. Same is true to many other perennials such as daisies and phlox, etc. Most of us have divided a lot of our plants and moved them around from one garden to another and have given away a ton. I have made many new garden friends on this site last year alone and look forward to my package when it arrives in the mail. Can't wait to see my new plants from trades (last year) bloom this spring.

They say the Itohs spread quickly, so was just hoping someone might have some to share and or trade for something I have. Looking forward to 2013.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Hi! I just divided my Pastel Splendor and have an extra root. Are you interested in a trade?

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

Kousa,

Can you please grow it out for a year, and then we can trade?

I currently have over 50 species of tree/itoh/herbaceous and growing, but don't have pastor splendor just yet. I am very long term oriented, and like to have developed plants.

What peonies are you interested in? I have lots of bamboos too.

Here is a link that might be useful: itoh peonies

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

OK, Stevelau. I will save this root and trade with you next year.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kousa: I thought you were directing that offer to my post asking for a division. So is that going to be the only one you have? Steve, looks like you jumped in on this. looks like I am the one missing out. Perhaps Steve can see what he has to offer now. I have been waiting for a response since I posted in January.

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

I'm working on getting divisions on a lot of itohs. I currently have a few dozen divisions on the ones I have in that following blog plus takara, and misaka.

Some are actual pieces while many of them are grafted onto herbaceous roots, but I should know by spring whether these things take or not. The buds are firm after healing so there's a lot of hope.

I just hope that grafted itohs can develop their own root systems fairly quickly.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Don't worry. I can trade with you this year, illinoisdoglover. I have meant the offer for you. Please send me email. Thanks.

Steve, please check back with me next fall when you are ready to trade. Thanks.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kousa: Sent you an email. Thanks for responding.
    Steve: I will look forward to see what you will have to offer in 2014. Please keep me in mind. Thanks for the response.

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

Sure.

I propagate lots of peonies so I'll have a lot to mess with. I have no idea what most of the tree peonies are though until I can see the original plants I graft from flower.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

OOOOHHHH, I want to jump in to an Itoh trade next year, too! If my Strawberry Blonde and Berry Garcia are big enough I'll divide for something I don't have yet!! I think most people have Singing in the Rain, that's the only other that I have that I think will be big enough to split. Can I play, too?

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I may have Bartzella and Cora Louise. Would you like to trade with me next fall, Liz? I do not mind small roots with 2-3 eyes. Itohs are very rigorous. I am interested in your Singin' in the Rain and Strawberry Blonde.

This post was edited by kousa on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 22:12

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Absolutely, Kousa! Illinois, I know we didn't get to do the trade we talked about last winter/early spring, I had a bad herbaceous peony year and never did find some of the plants you identified, want to try again next year? And Steve, if I have any you're interested in I'd like to trade with you, too!

I only divided 1 Itoh (my smallest Singing in the Rain) this fall and it had less blooms than the others except for Berry Garcia. I actually got 3 3-5 eye divisions from it and several 1 eye's that broke off. If the other roots are comparable to that one I should have 3 or 4 nice pieces to trade from both Singing in the Rain and Strawberry Blonde, maybe less for Berry Garcia. BC had the smallest shrub and only 2 blooms and it was my least favorite from last year, anyway, don't know if anyone would be interested in it. It had a pretty colored bud but it never really opened, maybe just because it was smaller. Hopefully it'll do better next spring, I'll certainly be posting pics if so!

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

I actually have a few dozen singing in the rains divided up, but I should have lots of itohs by next year. It's just that they werent big enough to get divisions until now.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone. Has been a bad year for our family members this year. Maybe next year will be better for some trades. Will see what 2014 brings.

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

I have about 30 herbaceous peonies, but don't have them identified. I think I have around 15 species of ITOH and about 40 species of tree peonies.

I should have plenty to trade next year. I just don't happen to need a lot of the more common types.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I too, generally, am not interested in the common types. Have plenty of those also. How do you keep track of the 30 herbaceous peonies that are not identified? I would be interested in a possible trade next year once you know which herbaceous peonies you will have to offer. Not sure exactly which ones you consider to be " more of the common types ". Hope 2014 will be a good year for everyone.

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

All I know about my herbaceous is that they are shades of white, pink, and red. I acquired most of them this year so I don't know what species they will come out to be yet. I get peonies from my neighbors.

If I find something special bloom, I may need to identify it.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Steve, do you have a shima nishiki peony tree for trade?

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

I have a few of them grafted, and I can't trade it until I can confirm that it is viable.

My Japanese tree peonies are still fairly small so I've been conservative on grafting from them so far since I want them to get bigger.

Just to give a summary of what I have on the blog, all of the Japanese tree peonies are on their own root systems now, should all be flowering next year, and they all produce lots of stems, but are still no more than 1ft tall. That's why I cannot graft too much from each of them, but keep me posted.

I am interested in some more itohs

Here is a link that might be useful: Last year's Japanese tree peonies

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County