Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Sara Bernhardt and Festiva

natalie4b
17 years ago

Just bought these two peonies, and wonder if they will do well in zone 8. All I know is to keep them away from afternoon sun.

Thanks!

~Natalie

Comments (10)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

These should do fine in your zone. They love the sunshine and mine are in full sun here in sunny California. Al

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's great news! Thank you Calistoga.

• jqpublic
    17 years ago

Ours do great and we're zone 7b/8a. Good luck. Don't expect alot the first year or so.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It looks like they both are surviving. I thought one was gone, since they were zapped by the frost. Now the new growth is coming up. Yay! I am happy!

• jqpublic
    17 years ago

Yeh they are supposed to get "zapped by the frost". They are herbaceous perrenials which means they die back to the ground every winter. That is when you should clear out the dead growth to the ground (don't rip them out just cut them or smthg). The next year they'll come back from the dirt like a bulb would (usually during the middle of spring).

• gnabonnand
    17 years ago

Natalie, I'm on the line between 8a & 7b, and my 'Festiva Maxima' has large buds on it preparing to open. It took three years for this to happen, so be patient. Although no blooms during the first two years, the plant and its foliage were very nice. This year I'm actually getting blooms!

FYI, all the other varieties of peonies I've tried here have died. Therefore, it appears 'Festiva Maxima' is a good one for the south.

Randy

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Randy. They both are doing well - having some greenery. I bought them as bare root I think: just a stump with some roots in plastic, not a container. Wow, they sure take a while to flower - few years. Talking about training in patience...
    I will appreciate more the ones in my local nursery now, which are ready to bloom. It took growers few years of waiting to put them up for sale. Peonies are such gorgeous flowers!

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Hi Natalie-
    I'm in your zone, but way up north. I have three Sara's and they are gorgeous! (Just try and be patient, bare root takes a couple of seasons, I know it's hard.) I have a Sorbet that I bought two years ago bare root, it has blooms on it! Yeah! I also have a mystery peony that I bought at our local nursery. I saved it from the clearance table and I have no idea what it is, it has blooms too. Can't wait to see what it is.

• nmrbwt98
    16 years ago

I was told by someone at a nursery that if you pour a bag of ice on peonies at Thanksgiving, Chirstmas and Valentine's Day you will get better flower production because the ice will simulate the cold weather they need. I forgot to do it last year and so far I have a nice looking plant but no flowers. I hope to remember this winter.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting! I will give it a try. Thanks Nmrbw98.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA