Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sara Bernhardt and Festiva

Posted by natalie4b 8-GA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 8:55

Just bought these two peonies, and wonder if they will do well in zone 8. All I know is to keep them away from afternoon sun.
Thanks!
~Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sara Bernhardt and Festiva

These should do fine in your zone. They love the sunshine and mine are in full sun here in sunny California. Al

o

That's great news! Thank you Calistoga.

o

Ours do great and we're zone 7b/8a. Good luck. Don't expect alot the first year or so.

o

It looks like they both are surviving. I thought one was gone, since they were zapped by the frost. Now the new growth is coming up. Yay! I am happy!

o

Yeh they are supposed to get "zapped by the frost". They are herbaceous perrenials which means they die back to the ground every winter. That is when you should clear out the dead growth to the ground (don't rip them out just cut them or smthg). The next year they'll come back from the dirt like a bulb would (usually during the middle of spring).

o

Natalie, I'm on the line between 8a & 7b, and my 'Festiva Maxima' has large buds on it preparing to open. It took three years for this to happen, so be patient. Although no blooms during the first two years, the plant and its foliage were very nice. This year I'm actually getting blooms!

FYI, all the other varieties of peonies I've tried here have died. Therefore, it appears 'Festiva Maxima' is a good one for the south.

Randy

o

Thanks Randy. They both are doing well - having some greenery. I bought them as bare root I think: just a stump with some roots in plastic, not a container. Wow, they sure take a while to flower - few years. Talking about training in patience...
I will appreciate more the ones in my local nursery now, which are ready to bloom. It took growers few years of waiting to put them up for sale. Peonies are such gorgeous flowers!

o

Hi Natalie-
I'm in your zone, but way up north. I have three Sara's and they are gorgeous! (Just try and be patient, bare root takes a couple of seasons, I know it's hard.) I have a Sorbet that I bought two years ago bare root, it has blooms on it! Yeah! I also have a mystery peony that I bought at our local nursery. I saved it from the clearance table and I have no idea what it is, it has blooms too. Can't wait to see what it is.

o

I was told by someone at a nursery that if you pour a bag of ice on peonies at Thanksgiving, Chirstmas and Valentine's Day you will get better flower production because the ice will simulate the cold weather they need. I forgot to do it last year and so far I have a nice looking plant but no flowers. I hope to remember this winter.

o

Interesting! I will give it a try. Thanks Nmrbw98.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here