Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveinohio_2007

Germination

daveinohio_2007
13 years ago

2010 tp seeds in frig are starting to germinate (top growth), so if you have seeds in frig, you should start checking them.

This year,about half of our seed flats are in an unheated garage; these are now frozen solid, so no germination there. This MAY be good: delaying germination to March or April, and eliminating growing under fluorescent light.

Comments (16)

• peonyman
    13 years ago

Dave,

What cultivars are you germinating seeds from?

It seems I have mixed results with germinating peony seeds. I can get them to germinate but I do have a good bit of problem with keeping them alive. I lose many to dampening off in very early spring. I can see that delaying germination until later in the spring that would avoid a good bit of that. I do begin seeds in pots in my garage. My garage is attached and I have it well insulated. Seeds generally come up earlier because the pots never freeze. When I feel they are getting too dry in late winter or early spring I water the pots and then the dampening off problem occurs. Last year I had lots of seedlings of P. tenuifolia rosea but lost them all after watering them. This year I passed my P. ten rosea seeds along to a friend in hopes he will have better luck with them.

Good luck with your seeds.
    Leon

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leon,
    Thank you.
    All of or experience is with tree peonies. Some are more fertile than others: Center Stage is sterile; Guardian of Monastery is limited; most japs are fertile; our own seedlings are very fertile.
    Damping off has not been a problem here, probably because the young seedlings grow during winter in a cool, dry basement under fluorescent lights.

dave

• peonyman
    13 years ago

Dave,

I have fluorescent lights set up in my basement but I have not tried peony seeds there. That area is full of cacti seedlings right now. I have decided that next year I will try P. tenuifolia seeds there also. I hope to try several batches under a variety germination cycles. I don't think tenuifolia should require the same warm/cold cycles that other species require.

After seeing your post I think I will also try Japanese TP seeds this year. I may also try some Lutea hybrid seeds there too. If I can get suitable Lutea pollen I will try to generate intersectional seeds also. Seems it would be a more efficient way of growing them.

Leon

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

to produce an intersectional, a good herbaceous seed-setter is needed, such as Miss America; perhaps other varieties also work?

• lily55rjw
    13 years ago

Dave,
    The rooted seeds you mailed me in November'ish are doing great! They are about 4 inches tall now with 3 leaves on top. 2 of them are "twins" (2 seeds have 2 trees sprouted from the same seed)!!! I also got a few I started from seed and those ones are between 7 and 8 inches tall! Its so exciting to watch them grow!

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Randi,
    Congratulations! Thanks for keeping us posted.
    Hopefully we can send you more seeds this year.
    dave

• peonyman
    13 years ago

Randi,

The idea of two seedlings from one seed is intriguing. I have not seen this happen. Can you describe more about this? Do these seed appear to be two seeds in one, sort of like a double yolk egg? Do both seedlings emerge from the same root? Now that I asked that it does seem possible for one rooted seed to generate two buds near the seed to generate double top growth. Did this happen with herbaceous or tree peony seeds? Please tell us more. Any way you could take a photo?

Leon

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leon,
    Some seedlings produce a single stem which quickly branches into two stems; if the branch is below ground, the two stems appear to be twins but are not. Twins may be possible, but the above scenario is common

• stevelau1911
    13 years ago

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I dropped a bunch of tree peony seeds into a garden bed last summer, and they are now starting to germinate after a dormancy cycle of around 5-6 months.

Here's 2 of them fairly close together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony seedlings

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Watch the one with above-ground seed. The root will split open near the seed; the topgrowth will then emerge from the split.

• stevelau1911
    13 years ago

I planted about 50 of them in the ground and there are only around 4 emerging so far. Hopefully once we get warmer temperatures, most of them will come up.

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you know what parents are: japs? hybrids?

• lily55rjw
    13 years ago

Dave! That would be great if I could get some more! I have alot to learn here! I am down to 9. I'm thinking damp off? Not sure... I sure hope I don't lose anymore!!

Randi

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Randi,
    Are your plamts growing under fuorescent lights?

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

A lot more of them are starting to germinate now all out in the garden bed, and they were planted from seed last summer. Tree peonies don't seem to be that hard to grow. They just need a lot of time to get started.

• lily55rjw
    12 years ago

Dave, no. I didn't have the flourescent set up this year like I should have. Will have it next year! The 9 I have left are doing really great though! I have them in a big window and they are just a growing! Getting new branches and all. Its so exciting to watch them! Thanks again!!

Randi

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia