Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raptor1_gw

Herbacious peony growing with tree peony

raptor1
9 years ago

I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old and every year when it blooms I only get one bloom BUT I get about 10 herbaceous single pedal peony (pink and yellow) very pretty peony but I was concerned that the Herb was overtaking my tree peony.
I tried to find some info on this because I really did not want to loose either one of these plants. I finally went to "CricketHillGarden" word press and they have a very good explanation on the very issue that I was concerned with.
I dug up, the tree peony and found that the Herbaceous peony had in fact completely circled the tree peony roots with about 20 eyes (very big root ball). I then separated the herb from the tree simply by pulling apart the roots and then replanting the plants separate, one tree, and four herbaceous plants.
Wonder if any of you on here have had such a situation and how did you correct the issue. The article gives about 3 different methods BUT I did not want to loose any of my plants So I chose to separate the grafted herb from the tree. Wondering if this method is successful or not, due to it being Jan 28 12;16 pm. and 38 degrees

Comments (3)