Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Kirinmaru Peony

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

Does anyone have this one? I just ordered it and hope it is as pretty as the picture.

Comments (69)

• Moxx
    10 years ago

Pic 2:

• Moxx
    10 years ago

Pic 3:

• Moxx
    10 years ago

Pic 4:

• Moxx
    10 years ago

Bonus. Of course, there are other look peonies with similar looks.

• kathyr89
    10 years ago

Funny that last pix is mine. I recognize the maple seeds in my rock border lol when purchased they called it Fesiiva

• kathyr89
    10 years ago

Whoops Festiva

• Moxx
    10 years ago

I think you mean Festiva Maxima, Miellez, 1851. However, all Festiva Maxima flower pics I've seen, including the ones in my garden don't have a streak of red on the back as shown in the bonus pic.

I got this pic from EBay. In fact, there are 2 pics, the second pic look similar. Is it your posting at EBay?

A couple of corrections. I am surprised no one noticed pic 3 is an enlargement of pic 2.

And the bit about Keycode, it doesn't work for me in Canada maybe because it knows I've already provided an order and used another Keycode.

• kathyr89
    10 years ago

U r correct Festiva maxima. But no I am not selling on eBay. This was a pic on photobucket I think. Wow. So easy to steal stuff on net these days

• kathyr89
    9 years ago

Kirinmaru has buds, they look small. Will post pic later. It came from Spring Hill also.

• auron22
    9 years ago

Looking forward to it Kathy89 :)

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I saw a small bud on one of the two stems of my Kirinmaru too. Hope it will bloom.

• kathyr89
    9 years ago

Here are flower buds, could be any day now.

• bunti
    9 years ago

Wow....

Please post pictures once they bloom.

I have bought one from spring hill. I don't think mine will bloom this year. I would love to see them bloom.

• kathyr89
    9 years ago

Still waiting

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Wow, that is an awesome amount of buds. I look forward to see your Kirinmaru in bloom, Kathy.

Karen

• auron22
    9 years ago

Color me impressed! I sure hope mine is that loaded with buds in 3 years. I'm really excited, I hope they open soon.

• kathyr89
    9 years ago

Only 1 blooming all the rest are driving me crazy. So many buds & still waiting.

{{!gwi}}

• bunti
    9 years ago

photo is missing. how old is your plant?

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

That is an AMAZING amount of buds, Kathy! Has this one bloomed before? I got the impression that this was its first year--if so all I can say is WOW! Can't wait to see the blooms open!

• kathyr89
    9 years ago

It is a 3yr old plant, has not given blooms ever before. The plant has always been very healthy. Got first buds on 3 of my plants.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Congrats, Kathy! Looks like a good peony year for you!

• bunti
    9 years ago

My plant is setting buds now. Is it going to bloom for this year. I do see one tiny bud on it.

• kathyr89
    9 years ago

So Kirinmaru bloomed not as pictured from Spring Hill. Still pretty.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Kathy, I am sorry to hear about your Kirinmaru. I hope my purchase does not have the same fate. My one and only bud on my Kirinmaru should open any day now. I would be terribly upset if it turns out to be something else. If this is any consolation to you, I have discovered 5 mislabeled peonies from my purchases in previous years. Some of them I have grown for more than 2 years.

• auron22
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear that Kathy....it's really pretty though :) I am also down for the count.....Potted mine up and some critter must be a magician, because it disappeared without a trace. The pot was hardly disturbed at all.....I assumed there would be a mess.I'll try next year, maybe.....

Good luck to others still waiting on their blooms!

• Moxx
    9 years ago

That's a big/mature peony plant you have, Kathy. Did Spring Hill shipped, you this plant this year?

I got mine from Spring Garden, Canada. AKA Spring Hill, USA. When I received it, the item number is correct, but the description is labeled as "Giant Peony Mix" instead of "Kirinmaru" Peony. Spring Garden is good enough to offer to resend if they made a mistake.

Here are my pictures as received and now. I don't see how one tuber can get to the size of your plant within the same year of planting.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Kirinmaru Peony a few days ago.

• kathyr89
    9 years ago

My plant is 3yrs old, healthy every year but these were 1st blooms. It wasn't what I wanted but I still like plant.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, my bloom looks like Kathy's. There is no white splashed with red like in Springhill's picture. It is just a pink bomb. This is really disappointing. Hope others have better luck.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

If it is the wrong peony, then Spring Garden, Canada. AKA Spring Hill, USA. will refund or send you another. They are very generous that way.

Mine has a one year guarantee, but bloom may not happen until maybe the second year. I had their supervisor to reword the contract to suit. My understanding is that the guarantee was unlimited at one time. They may send another Kirinmaru Peony to Kathy if she complains to a supervisor.

Spring Garden only supplies Kirinmaru Peony in the spring. Other more common peonies are available in both spring and fall.

There is not a great deal written on the Kirinmaru Peony. I wonder if it is a mutant like the Shima Nishiki peony tree. The flowers on the first Shima Nishiki I brought was pink. So was the second tree. Then I looked at the pictures on the internet, and research on it further. It turned out that the colour on a young Shima Nishiki peony tree may be pink or white. The flowers will not be bi-colour until the plant matures. Even the store manager did not know this.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sat, May 31, 14 at 19:13

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Thank you Moxx for the info. I was wondering too whether this Kirinmaru is behaving like the Shima Nishiki. I certainly hope so. This year, most of pinks are much darker than they were last year because of the cool temps. Anyway, here is a pic of my Kirinmaru.

• jackie_o
    9 years ago

I hate to be a downer but I'm certain your peonies will never look like the original photo. It happens a lot. They know you're not going to return a peony three years later when it blooms and is not the right cultivar. If they send you another one I'm pretty sure it will not be Kirinmaru either and you'll have to wait a few more years to find out. There was only one photo I found of that peony. It may have looked like a few different shots, but it was just creative cropping. At least the peony you got is really pretty. :)

• Moxx
    9 years ago

I am afraid I am more tenacious than you. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water!

Consider Pic 1 in my Mar 24, 14 post. Here is the text that goes with the picture:

" This Japanese peony is stunning in flower, but takes several years to get established."

http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/589148/Peony-Paeonia-Kirinmaru/

Don't like my pictures that's posted? Attached is another pic from a Russian site:

http://www.irininsad.ru/index.php/piony-travyanistye/pion-kirin-maru

• Moxx
    9 years ago

And another. How come you can't find these pictures? **grin**

• jackie_o
    9 years ago

Moxx I wish you well. I really hope you get that peony and I'll be watching for it here on GW!
    :)

• Moxx
    9 years ago

I just got Kirinmaru. So it could take +/- 5 years or more, like the Shima Nishiki. You'll be an old maid by then lol.

The pictures below caught my attention today. Maybe it takes a long time to make beauty, but for some, it may worth the wait.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 19:28

• Moxx
    9 years ago

A second pink peony tree. The new home owner doesn't know the tree name.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Closeup of flower.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Picture 4 of 4.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Finally got an answer from the master gardener from Spring Hill/Spring Garden today:

Here is the best answer that I can give you. This comes from the grower.

- in variegated plants whether leaf or flower variegation, it can vary. Unfortunately this peony has variations also. The grower has seen almost all white or almost all red within stock that is true to the photo. But within the stock he had also found the pink, which was rogued out as soon as they saw it. No photos are currently available from his fields as they are done blooming for the season.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

• jackie_o
    9 years ago

Not one peony in his fields that looked like the web photo? Come on, pull my other leg ;)

I work in horticulture and understand variegation. I will be totally shocked if you get a red and white striped flower on yours Moxx.

:)

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started this thread and canceled my order before the season began. Glad I did.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

The more information I gather on this plant, the more I incline to think this plant is a mutant like the Shima Nishiki tree peony.

Spring Hill/Spring Garden never said the flowers don't look like anything as shown in the like the web photo as jackie_o tainted. Spring Hill/Spring Garden said the flowers varies, but we already know this from looking at the pictures. Refer to the Russian pictures I've uploaded on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 1:38. The two flowers are not identical. The first has much more white. This is very much the character of the Shima Nishiki tree peony too, another mutant.

Let me make the point by cramping several years into a few pictures. Consider the three pictures below:

The first is my Shima Nishiki. The flowers have no streaks, so I brought a second plant, but the flowers are still the same. No, I didn't throw in the towel like jackie_o would. I did my homework, evaluating facts and drawn my own conclusions. The internet provided enough information to guide me, especially with comments like:

"Shima Nishiki is a bud mutation of TP cultivar Taiyo (red)"

"Shima Nishik peony tree May bloom all red for the first couple of years"

"Shima_Nishiki (Japan) Tree peony. Young plants may display solid red flowers"

"Shima-nishiki - no two (mature) flowers are the same"

This post was edited by Moxx on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 1:43

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Pic 2 - Here is another young Shima Nishiki. This picture is from the internet. This one is starting to show signs of dual colour and streak.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Pic 3 - A more mature Shima Nishiki. The picture shows some flowers in red, while other flowers start taking dual colour streaks.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Bonus pic - And of course, a mature Shima Nishiki picture. I never forget the comments from an uploader who appreciates beauty. His point is that if beauty takes many years to make, then what are you waiting for? It was his mother who showed him the plant.

Of course you can argue that this is a Kirinmaru Peony. I am staying the course because all the signs indicate this is also a mutant.

• auron22
    9 years ago

RyseRyse,

Yea, i decided not to purchase kirinmaru too....again that is.

I've decided i have enough white, hydrangea paniculata, lilium longiflorum (or regale...don't know), pieris, immortality iris, narcissus, hyacinth city of haarlem and dahlia's. I'm lacking some other colors, and fall interest.

Think i'm going to look for an orange-ish peony, hopefully an itoh or tree peony...have yet to look it up.

I'm still highly interested to see how the others kirinmaru peonies turn out, and might change my mind....who knows, darn thing changes all the time.lol

• littlebin
    9 years ago

"Shima-nishiki" is much much more beautiful than Kirinmaru.

• Moxx
    8 years ago
  • josielawrence1950
    4 years ago

I would be asking for a refund if I paid for a striped peony and got a common pink

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction