Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weeper_11

Your favorite peonies

weeper_11
13 years ago

Alright, so I'm sure in the past this has come up before: I'm looking to choose some peonies for my yard, and I want to know what you guys think are the "best" or must-have peonies, if you could only have a few (lets say 10 or so). The main reason I'm asking is that it is hard to tell from a picture and description what the plant is REALLY like. I wish there were some peony display gardens near where I live so I could see for myself! Oh well. (I live in Saskatchewan/Canada) I have a couple of catagories that I want you to fill in if you have suggestions.

I must say that I really favor fragrant plants. Not that I won't choose one for other reasons, but please note if certain plants have good fragrance. Also, I'm not looking for just pretty faces, but long bloom time, floriferous, healthy foliage etc. So if there is one that is really beautiful but not a very good performer, please note that.

1. Favorite Itoh peonies. Why?

2. Single herbaceous.

3. Double/bomb type herbaceous. Do all of these need to be supported? Or are there some that are strong enough on their own?

4. Any types in any category(except tree peonies, we can't grow them) that have a particularly stunning color?

I should also mention that when they bloom doesn't matter at all to me at this point. Just looking for the best and brightest of early/mid/late. Thank you!

Comments (3)