Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite peonies

Posted by weeper 2b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 14:53

Alright, so I'm sure in the past this has come up before: I'm looking to choose some peonies for my yard, and I want to know what you guys think are the "best" or must-have peonies, if you could only have a few (lets say 10 or so). The main reason I'm asking is that it is hard to tell from a picture and description what the plant is REALLY like. I wish there were some peony display gardens near where I live so I could see for myself! Oh well. (I live in Saskatchewan/Canada) I have a couple of catagories that I want you to fill in if you have suggestions.

I must say that I really favor fragrant plants. Not that I won't choose one for other reasons, but please note if certain plants have good fragrance. Also, I'm not looking for just pretty faces, but long bloom time, floriferous, healthy foliage etc. So if there is one that is really beautiful but not a very good performer, please note that.

1. Favorite Itoh peonies. Why?
2. Single herbaceous.
3. Double/bomb type herbaceous. Do all of these need to be supported? Or are there some that are strong enough on their own?
4. Any types in any category(except tree peonies, we can't grow them) that have a particularly stunning color?

I should also mention that when they bloom doesn't matter at all to me at this point. Just looking for the best and brightest of early/mid/late. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite peonies

The singles might not be as showy as the doubles, but their stems can hold them upright in a rain-storm. That is very important to me because the rain ALWAYS comes right when they are all in bloom.

o

Weeper,

I grow one fully double medium to dark pink peony that has no problem with drooping. This is Rozella. The stems are very strong and I have never seen a flower go down on the plant. The foliage is dark green and looks good in the garden for a long time. The plant is vase shaped and fits nicely into the landscape. I took the photo below several years ago.
Leon

Rozella(Reath, 1991)

o

She is a beauty alright! What a lovely shade of pink. I'll put that one on my list, thanks Leon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here