Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

seedy advice

bragu_DSM 5
9 years ago

Scarification

we've all been there. But No matter what way we try to do it, the little ball-bearing like marble hard seed thing can fly off into the room to who knows where.

My method, use DUCT tape.

Now, I take a small piece of duct tape and fold it back so that the canna seed sticks to an unstuck piece of tape about 1/8 inch wide near the edge of the tape. This way you can put the seed in the middle and hold the seed (and it won't move if it is stuck to the tape) between your thumb and forefinger. I then RUB the seed on an emory board.

I count to twenty. Yes, twenty times. Now, up and back (a full circuit) counts as half. So I make the circuit, one, two three, four - up, down, up, down - that's one. I count to 20, doing it the same way every time. Lather, rinse, repeat.
If you want to count each trip across the emory board as one, you gotta count to 80. After 20 (or 80 if you count each stroke), there should be some white from the embryo showing.

Set the seed aside and repeat. Immerse them in a cut off pop bottle (I use the bottom half of a gator aid container) with a little warm water in it. Date and label the bottle.

Wipe the emory board clean before you go to the next seed.

Of course, you can just use nail clippers on the peony seeds to scarify them.

when the seeds are really swollen, you can tell because the nick in the seed coat will now appear huge, you can bag the seeds with a little soil mix in a zip bag and throw them in the bottom of the fridge.
dave

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor