Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recovering mildewed peonies

Posted by matriarchy (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 16:39

I moved into a house with 3 peonies already in the narrow urban backyard. The first year, only one bloomed a little, and they died off to mildew toward the end of the season. Last year they didn't bloom at all, and were killed quickly and severely by powdery mildew. I cut off the dead foliage and did not compost it. Mildew also affected the zinnias, but not as severely. The beds are narrow with lots of sir circulation and full sun.

Will these plants recover? What can I do to prevent the mildew problem? I am not keen on chemicals.

(Between the mildew, the black spot that came with the roses, the Canadian Thistle invasion, and the squash vine borers that kill all my squash, this new yard has been tough!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recovering mildewed peonies

Last year for the first time I had a fungus problem on some of my peonies. When I cut them down in the fall I applied a good dose of Bordeaux mix to the soil and cut down plants. We had late warm rains last year which I think was the cause of the outbreak. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here