Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make your own Itohs

Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 17:26

I came across this really interesting article regarding breeding itohs peonies. If you are interested in creating your own itoh peonies, this is a good place to start. Here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Itohs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make your own Itohs

That is an interesting article, kousa. Have you tried the process? I've never collected seed before last fall, normally deadhead the peonies because they look so sad and pathetic after the blooms are gone (although there are a few that have non-droopy, interesting seed heads). I did have 3 new seedlings come up last spring, though. They're in a bed with P. Ostii and several herbaceous peonies, none of which I thought was fertile, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of them.
I actually got a couple of the lutea hybrids last fall but they are so tiny it'll be several years before I could try a cross for myself, you'll have to keep us posted on your results if you try it!

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 13:23

No, I haven't tried any cross as I do not have any mature tree peonies nor any herbaceaous peonies that set seeds. I would like to be able to do this in a year or two. I bought a few herbaceous peonies last year that are supposed to be fertile so I hope that I can use them to breed some itohs or new peonies. These are Salmon Dream, Mackinac Grand, and Minnie Shaylor. I have only High Noon Tree Peony as a Lutea Hybrid Tree Peony. After I read the following snippet of the dissertation, I would like to acquire two more: Golden Experience and Souvenir de Maxine Kornu. Here is the link to the peony hybridization dissertation. Only the conclusion is available, but it gives a lot of info nonetheless.

Here is a link that might be useful: peony dissertation

o

There is a website intersectionalpeonies.com discussing about how to make itoh peonies. You can even find the name of the mother and father plants. It may be very helpful to your guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Website on how to make Itoh peonies

This post was edited by littlebin on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 13:39

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 21:12

Thanks, Littlebin. I have seen his website before but forgot the webaddress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here